Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

GMC Jimmy 2.5" Lift 31x10.5 etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

looks good!!!
i havent seen many 2drs with this lift on i think im one of a very selected few most are 4drs.
do you rub at all in the front when turning?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM
dustinhxc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
I used black bear performance for my tune. And I love it, they should be able to adjust the speedo for the size of tires you are running as well as adjust for gears, etc. Check out black bear. The tune is 200 if you send them a pcm, or 260 if you keep your pcm.
Awesome thanks man!

Originally Posted by war00
looks good!!!
i havent seen many 2drs with this lift on i think im one of a very selected few most are 4drs.
do you rub at all in the front when turning?
I got both fenders trimmed in front and behind the tires but as I was turning into my uphill driveway real fast it rubbed so i guess if i just dont go to quick up big curbs ill be ok.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 PM

So on this other forum its a euro forum dont know why i even posted my truck there but i used to drive euro cars anyways this guy is saying ill need to stock up on cvs and saying the 31 x 10.5 are going to suck in winter too. Does anyone have experience with 31x10.5 in snow? Should I really buy skinnier tires for winter? Also with this kit I assume the cvs wont go out as quick.

Last edited by dustinhxc; 06-06-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Disabled the auto headlights yesterday by putting a 2.2k 1/2 resistor in the auto headlight sensor! Then removed my tow hooks, used a rotary tool to sand them down. Then sanded them down real fine by hand. Then hung them up and sprayed 3 coats of rust enamel for metal semi flat black. dried 24 hours. just put them on. They look great! Id like to do behind the hooks to but didnt want to tape the bumper off yesterday. I would also like to get 90s tahoe tow hooks but not yet..

Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

yes the cv's are a weak link, but because this kit drops the diff its not much of a problem. i had 31's and they ran fine in the winter untill they wore out and turned into slicks than i had problems. just air them down slightly in the winter and you will be fine. ive had this kit for 6mths now and havent had any problems yet.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by war00
yes the cv's are a weak link, but because this kit drops the diff its not much of a problem. i had 31's and they ran fine in the winter untill they wore out and turned into slicks than i had problems. just air them down slightly in the winter and you will be fine. ive had this kit for 6mths now and havent had any problems yet.
That is great news to hear thank you. Do you think Id get better traction if I removed my 1.5" rear spacers in the winter? Then it would be closer to the original setup.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I had the same tires on my ranger when I was in high school and had them on my blazer last winter and they do great in the snow. Whoever this dude is that said this crap is just a lonely idiot flamer. If I were you I would just ignore him completly and go about your day. Like war00 said with the drop brackets the kit is designed to put the cvs back at stock angles so there won't be any premature wear on them either. You will be fine and also there is no need to remove the spacers just let out a little bit of air if there is snow on the ground and drive like its made to be driven and you will get anywhere you need to go!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I had the same tires on my ranger when I was in high school and had them on my blazer last winter and they do great in the snow. Whoever this dude is that said this crap is just a lonely idiot flamer. If I were you I would just ignore him completly and go about your day. Like war00 said with the drop brackets the kit is designed to put the cvs back at stock angles so there won't be any premature wear on them either. You will be fine and also there is no need to remove the spacers just let out a little bit of air if there is snow on the ground and drive like its made to be driven and you will get anywhere you need to go!
This is so relieving man! I just sold the stock wheels and the 30x9.5s and i was almost banging my head because if he was right i coulda used both or at least the wheels and some snow tires. So im glad you both say these tires rock in snow! They had a Severe Weather Rating for crying out lout lol Also yes that is why I went with the rough country is exactly for that reason so Im glad that it is true! Thanks!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM

I got a question.. Rough Country recommends the Steering Stabilizer.. Should I get it? Will it be too much labor since the kit is already installed lol shoulda got it when I got the kit put in.. Does anyone have it? It says reduces wear on tierods and ball joints but im sure its just to help the steering wheel when turning over bumps and stuff right?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Its an easy install for a stabilizer. Go look under your truck right in front of the front diff on the driver side and see if you have a little braket that looks like this. Sorry for the crappy pic!

If you do like me the install will be even easier and the parts are a few dollars cheaper. This is a factory mount for a steering stabilizer and some came with it and some did not. I have the mount but no stabilizer (YET) as you can see in the pic. Many companies sell the stabilizer with or without the additional mount for vehicles without the factory mount. Either way they are a pretty easy install and imo worth the expense. You may have noticed since you put the new tires on that your truck will pull a bit on rough roads especially while braking. The stabilizer should help to reduce that alot and it should help a bit to reduce wear on the rest of the steering components. I plan to put one on soon I have just been lazy and putting it off. I'd say go for it!! The toughest decision now is just which one to get. I won't give any opions on them since I am not familiar with the differences in them but thats what I love about google!!

Quick Reply: GMC Jimmy 2.5" Lift 31x10.5 etc