Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Green Eggs & Ham

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The factory fender flares for the 4 doors were only available in Europe (and maybe South America??) but not North America. They are no longer available from the aftermarket, so I'm basically SOL unless I can find some used 2 door ZR2 flares or something else used or custom .

As for the brake calipers, I got lucky at Pick n Pull and found a blazer where someone had taken the piston portion of the caliper, but left the mounting bracket (which is the piece I need). Hopefully I'll get everything assembled and more progress in the next week or so.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Starting Member
christian1984 will become famous soon enough

I think with the ZR2 fender flares you will get some problems, because they donīt have cut-outs for the passenger doors.
There are some Blazers, they are parted out, at ebay germany.
You could try it here.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

It's very common to put the ZR2 fenders on the 4 door trucks and just modify the rear fenders to fit.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Well, I had Tuesday off so I decided to tear into my axle swap. Its a lot of work since, like many people on here, I don't have access to a hoist or power tools. I got the old rear axle out, the new one is under the truck and partially bolted in, but I ran out of time yesterday since I have to work today. I'll hopefully get everything else bolted up this afternoon. I didn't take a ton of pics but here's a couple:

Yes, that is my axle hanging from a tie-down strap hooked on my roof rack. I'm pretty ghetto. It was also hanging from the rafter's of my car-port. (Hopefully the condo patrol doesn't notice my project going on.
Here's the new axle going under:

One last story for you since I'm EXTREMELY excited about this. Monday of last week I found someone selling a new, never installed, body lift for my Blazer on the local classifieds. I contacted them and made a deal to meet the next day and pick it up for $150. They emailed me and rescheduled the meet for a few days later because of some personal problems. In the mean time I reviewed my budget and bank accounts and they told me that I really didn't have $150 for a toy this month, so I (very reluctantly) emailed them back and backed out of the deal, wishing them a speedy sale. They emailed me back a couple hours later saying that they were moving and really just wanted it gone, so if no one came to buy it before Friday I should just go pick it up. Needless to say I was stunned. Thursday morning came around and they sent me an email saying to just come and get it. So, now I have another part of my project to get done this summer! I got hooked up with a FREE body lift for my blazer. Maybe this bit of good luck was to make up for all the bad luck I've been having lately.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 01-26-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Updating photo link location
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Holy crap, a free body lift? Sweet deal!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran

Well, this is it. I have 3 days to get a big portion of my project done on my Blazer. Here's the list:
-Remove and replace front differential with ZR2 3.73 gear differential
-Install body lift
-Install ZR2 torsion bars & keys
-Replace front sway bar bushings
-Install CB radio
-Upgrade front tow hooks
-Install rear recovery points
-Repaint rocker panels
-Undercoat everything possible under the truck

I'm doing all this by myself, in my driveway with hand tools. Hopefully the Condo police are away on vacation this weekend!
If everything goes smoothly I should be done in time to go to work Monday Morning. If not I'm taking the bus to work, and have Tuesday off to finish. Wish me luck!

*** UPDATE 16/08/2011 ***

Well, I ran into a few serious setbacks and didn't accomplish nearly what I set out to do. Changing a differential for the first time, with only the internet for a guide is not something for the faint of heart. Getting the beasty out is no small task. Once the front diff is unbolted from the truck, the upper support arm won't clear the steering center link. I found a couple solutions online: remove the steering center link (don't have a joint separator), unbolt the steering box and move it forward out of the way (did this), or bend the rear support bracket back enough to allow the diff to slide back so the upper support can drop past the center link. I ended up having to do both of these. The other pain is that the upper support bolt for the diff is accessed from behind the front upper control arm mount. If you tackle this task, be sure to mark very carefully where the upper control arm bolts and the eccentric washer's sit in reference to the frame. The eccentric washers are used to adjust the alignment of the front tires.

All that said, after a ton of sweat, blood, oil and a fair bit of language the old one came out, and the new differential went in. Everything is bolted up, nothing leaks and everything appears to be working well. Fingers crossed. I'll have to put off the rest of the list for when I get back from vacation. I'm heading for a week at the lake.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 09-02-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran

I finally got enough time to go ahead with the install of my body lift. Everything is in and the truck looks great.

Definitely ready for the 31" tires now. I did run into one hiccup with reinstalling my rear bumper though. The previous owner of the truck didn't bother to purchase a hitch receiver, opting instead to weld in his own abomination. I've hated the thing ever since I bought the truck because it isn't level, with a noticeable slope from front to rear. Its never been a big enough deal until now. In order to reinstall the bumper at the proper height I have to remove and relocate the bumper attachment brackets, but the moron welded the hitch to the brackets as well as the frame, so now I have no choice but to grind off the hitch. I'll post pictures of the hitch headache later.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 01-26-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Updating photo link location
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

nice man free!!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

that does look nice Congrats. And the best part was right in everyones price range.. FREE!!! Let me rub your head for luck so I can find a free b-lift

Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran

Well, a quick update and a few pictures. I finished grinding off the old home made hitch, which was a real headache. I was in a big hurry so I only have one picture of the old hitch. The picture was taken half way through the install of my body lift.

I also managed to find a good deal on a set of 31x10" BFG All-Terrain TA KO tires on factory rims, and sold my 255/70's for the same price, as well as the BFG All-Terrain TA KO tires without rims I had sitting in my rafters. Gotta love coming out $200 ahead of the game. Here's the 31's beside my 255/70's.

Here's a couple of pictures beside a stock Jimmy from the same year as my Blazer.

I figure I should post up a couple pictures of my assistants.

Anyone from Canada should be able to recognize the store in the last two pictures. I'll get some posed pictures of my Blazer posted up as soon as I can finish with the swing arm spare tire carrier and wash it this weekend.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 01-26-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Updating photo link location

Quick Reply: Green Eggs & Ham