Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Looky What I Helped My Brother Build...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

What size tubing are you using for everything and what wall thickness...? Is the receiver on there from the original hitch or did you get one from TSC to put in there...? I'm still toying with what to do on mine...I picked up some metal, but I am not going to do a whole bumper just yet. I want to remove the GMC body cladding and stuff first. That junk has to go...but there are holes to fill.

Stuff looks good.... Me like much.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dougg01
What size tubing are you using for everything and what wall thickness...? Is the receiver on there from the original hitch or did you get one from TSC to put in there...? I'm still toying with what to do on mine...I picked up some metal, but I am not going to do a whole bumper just yet. I want to remove the GMC body cladding and stuff first. That junk has to go...but there are holes to fill.

Stuff looks good.... Me like much.
That is a factory (maybe dealer?) installed tow hitch off of a 1995 blazer ironically...and no, not off mine ; ) We raised it about 2" from it's original height by cutting the mounting plates and shortening them, then reinforcing with angle iron just to be sure. It should be stronger than it originally was.

I'll get back to you on the wall thickness for sure...my brother picks it up. I believe it is 1/4" though. A little overbuilt so it should be bomb-proof. And, it can do this on the sides of the bumper:

Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Last edited by BlaziNator; 05-13-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Going all official guys:

It has come to my attention that there are virtually no after-market off-road bumpers or sliders...or....virtually anything else for our trucks. Therefore, Blacknoma and I have been kicking around the idea of building a few if there is enough interest. As of right now, we are offering 3 options, but we are flexible with the designs.

Front bumper:

Sells for $250 plus shipping in bare metal (you paint to keep them affordable) This bumper will replace your existing front bumper on any 2nd gen S-Series truck. It will bolt on using the original mounting hardware. The bumper is constructed from a single piece of channel iron and is incredibly rugged. This bumper can be jacked on from all sides.

Sliders:

Sells for $250 per set plus shipping in bare metal. These sliders are built from 2x2x1/4" square tubing. Gussets are welded for strength. The sliders can either be welded or bolted onto the frame. Holes must be drilled to allow mounting via bolts, both in the sliders and the frame.

Rear Bumper:

Sells for $300 plus shipping in bare metal. This bumper is constructed from thick channel iron and 2x2x1/4" square tubing. They are extremely rugged and can be jacked on from all sides. We have built two of these bumpers. The second one was 2" lower than the one on the truck pictured above, and allowed for full use of a 31" spare tire in the original mounting position under the bed. (per customer's request) This bumper will mount in the factory location but may require some drilling on different trucks. The design we are using currently requires cutting the bottoms of the fenders for fitting. The bump stops and license plate mounting hardware are not included for that price. For an additional $60, bump stops and license plate hardware are included.

Allow 2-4 weeks for manufacturing of these items as we both have jobs outside of the manufacturing business. Shipping charges will not be inflated and will vary depending on your location and the weight of the item. The rear bumper we built weighed 98 lbs and shipped to Kansas for about $50 via USPS. We are located in Brownwood, Tx and we will allow for local pick-up if you would like to avoid shipping fees.

Let me know if anyone is interested by emailing Flak Jacket Fab at: naadomail@gmail.com

Things to include in your email:
-Year and model of your truck / SUV. (including extended cab, long bed, number of doors, etc.)
-Any ideas or modifications to the design you may have
-Approximate location (state)

Last edited by BlaziNator; 05-13-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I like the front bumper.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I would defiantly be interested in the front bumper. lol you could probably start your own s10 offroad accessories company with such a simple idea

Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
I would defiantly be interested in the front bumper. lol you could probably start your own s10 offroad accessories company with such a simple idea
Send me an email and we can get started ASAP (naadomail@gmail.com)

You can find us on facebook now as well:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...26434684034351

Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

theres a couple things I need to get first... how hard was it to make that front bumper?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
theres a couple things I need to get first... how hard was it to make that front bumper?
Not too bad if you have the tools...cut here, weld there..

Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

just curious how you & your brother are making out with this?

Quick Reply: Looky What I Helped My Brother Build...