Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Mid-life crisis build

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road
Default Mid-life crisis build

I'm terrible about taking pictures and this all will take a while because I'm kind of lazy, so this might not turn out to be much of a build thread.

2002 4 door with 3 button 4wd, 160,000 miles. Totally stock and boring.

Already completed:
Green, Blue, Red LEDs in 4wd selector buttons
Blue LED illuminating hatch release/rear wiper
Multifunction overhead display (thanks onebadsuv)
Blue LED instrument panel - just the primary illumination, someday I might change signals &tc but probably not.
New alternator
Two 100watt off road lights

To be done -

LED everything else inside (Thogs fault)
More Fog/driving lights. Not that I ever go offroad, I just like lights
Cylon type scanning LED third brake light (yes, it's kind of geeky but I'm old so I don't care)
Paint job. There are a few little dents/dings but my main issue is that 87% of the Blazers I see around here are the exact same color silver. Probably going with a graphite type color.
New stereo, still running the stock unit and it sucks
"Big Three"

Before

Last edited by wyzardd; 04-05-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Resize giant dang picture
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Starting Member

Managed to catch 4hi and 4lo lights on at start, can't see green 2hi for some reason

Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Beginning Member
Druidic is on a distinguished road

Nice on the LEDs so far, I want to put them in mine, but the wife can't stand bright lights at night, it screws with her vision, so unfortunately that is a no go... But you have gotten more done to yours than I did mine... spent a couple hours trying to get a CB in ours... and all that is really accomplished is the cassette player is taken out.. lol

Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Starting Member

Spent Sunday working on it, mostly not fun stuff like alternator and battery. Really wanted to do The Big Three, but since I coasted to a stop in front of a nervous old lady's house I just decided to get it running again.
But once that was done I figured I might as well use all that fresh electricity and mounted these

I'm kind of a snob so I usually don't buy anything from Harbor Freight that I want to use more than twice, but I've actually heard ok things about these. Also, I'm a bit of a cheapskate. Might go HID in these guys at some point, but 100watts are enough for now (since this is my DD and I rarely go anywhere that I can use them, more than enough)
Reviews aren't as good as the chromed ones, but good enough. Then there's the theory that the grill thing counts as a cover so I might not get pulled over with the type I got.

Still need to get a relay and a decent switch, but that'll wait.

Edit with lights on

Last edited by wyzardd; 05-06-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM
oldsbravada2000 is on a distinguished road

Love the build very clean truck. Those Lights are great I have pictures of 4 of them mounted on the roof. They do GREAT off road and, for me, working out in fields. The only problem I have is the fuses that came with the lights kept blowing out so I put a 25 amp fuse in to replace the 20 amp fuse so it would stop blowing out. In Michigan if the lights are mounted higher than the headlights they are NOT street legal and you can't have more than 4 lights on at once. I got pulled over for it and the officer explained it all to me. Just go to the local police station or call the City Hall Information Center or the Non-Emergency police number.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Starting Member

Thanks! Previous owner must have had a garage, or Chevy paint is much better than base Toyota.

Since I don't have a garage (turned it into a bedroom for oldest son) I'm also thinking about one of those dash pad cover things. They looked terrible and slipped all over the damn place 20 years ago when I last bought one, tho.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Starting Member

Got LED's and sockets from Superbright today

Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

looking good man good job !

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
jbw23 is on a distinguished road

Looking good I wanna do it but gotta fix repairs first!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Starting Member

Thanks again.

Dammit, looks like I have a loose wire on my overhead display. Occasionally I'll start the truck and the display is dead for several blocks. I guess I'll fire up the soldering iron again and do it right

Last edited by wyzardd; 04-07-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Mid-life crisis build