Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My 93 4x4 project "Skinny Wallet"

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default My 93 4x4 project "OHSOFLY"

Well I figured I should start a thread on my truck as its springtime and I can undertake some of the projects I would like to accomplish with my used Blazer thats new to my fleet. Im not going to be buying anything expensive for this truck as I have a family that needs the money more than my truck does. My goal is to make it look a little different that the next Blazer. If someone told me in a parking lot that it looked cool, I would be happy. I will put up some pics when my woman gets home in a week with the camera. Im very happy with what I got for so cheap.

Work done so far:

Feb 10: Purchased the truck in not running condition for $300 from brother inlaw, it has 212,000km, and came with most of the parts for the tune-up in a box in the back that were never installed. Truck has a like new set of 235/75 BFG All Terrains on it. Brakes are great, no oil leaks, major fuel leak in the upper plenum. It is 2tone Green/Grey. The engine is a 4.3 vortec "W" engine, push button 4x4 works fantastic. Has bent bumper and some minor broken interior parts. Oil was clean and it fired up with a boost and was able to drive it home on ALOT of gas and making black smoke. ($300)

Feb 13: Went to junkyard and got misc parts that I will need to install in my spare time. CPI unit x2, bumper for front, signal light housing, EGR valve x2, rear window shocks, rear gate lock assembly, and lots of spare sensors and stuff in case they are needed in the future. ($120)

Feb 15-20: Installed used CPI unit and injector harness, battery, complete tune up, flushed all fluids and replaced with Amsoil products, K&N Air filter, new belts. ($350 in parts)

Feb 16: found temp sender broken off, replaced with new part ($42)

Feb 21: Aced the AirCare emissions test and insured it to be my daily driver so I can take my Toyota off the road. ($27 + insurance)

March 1: Mess around with EGR trying to get engine codes to dissapear, needed a replacement EGR as mine was sticking open on full EGR flow. I already have 2 from the wreckers, learned on here how to test them, cleaned and changed for one that passed and didnt stick.

March 15: removed bent front bumper and painted the 4 front signal lights and 2 rear taillights black with VHT Nightshades paint and clearcoated once dry, looked stellar when done! I also am cleaning the new used bumper and giving it some new grey (maybe black) paint tomorrow. Removed back window and took inside to install 23% tint on. Im going to go over the factory tint and front windows with 35% in the future. Made most of the interior lights RED with light gels except the map lights. Sex lights, my woman is going to comment on that for sure when she sees them, maybe she will have sleazy sex with me in the blazer in some parking lot now that the windows are darker too! ($10 for the paint) ($10 worth of tint)

March 16: Woke up to pouring rain, it quit for a couple hours and I was able to put the backglass back in and all the lights back on and fastened with new bulbs in every socket, now its raining again but the blazer looks sexy, next break in the rain I will reinstall the bumper and grill, will have to take bumper off another sunnier time and grind and paint it ($35)

Future projects: My woman wont let me turn this truck into a money pit like I have other trucks in the past, so its all getting done on the cheap budget. I dont really have a budget limit, but its gotta be one peice at a time, and I want it to be all used parts coming back to life.

-fix rattle in front end on bumps, i think it might be the exhaust banging the frame. Not too concerned right now, its not bad.
-replace ball joints and tie rods and idlers, total parts should be under 2 hundred bucks. Front end is OK on this truck, but I wouldnt mind putting moog parts in as I like them and get peice of mind knowing its all new and tight.
-$100 for wheel alignment after the front end.
-tint the rest of the windows with 35%, I do a great job as I am an experienced auto tinter/stereo installer.
-find a new center console at the junkyard
-install DVD player deck, 4 speakers, 1000W amp (5channel) and 10inch type R sub from my Toyota in it.
-drivers door armrest is broken off, also going to check the junkyard for it.
-buy a new black grill from the aftermarket body parts place
-cowl hood when I see one come through the junkyard and paint it black with boxliner paint
-find one of those wing things that some blazers have above the back window and add an LED light bar to it for a 3rd brake light.
-paint the spare tire carrier cause its rusty, and do the tow hooks, roof rack and visible frame too.
-find 2 new grey power seats, my drivers one has a tear in it.
-fix speedometer unit, not showing speed and signals.
-fix lower cig lighter that isnt working
-Install random interior red LED things that I have around interior for more light and hookup to the interior lights.
-replace center rear seatbelt buckle it is broken and wont latch.
-install body lift package if I can find one cheap on the buy/sell
-find a nice cheap used set of 15 inch aftermarket wheels to change the look a little.
-paint the grey lower part of the 2tone paint black with boxliner paint.
-Find a "Ford recovery team" sticker for the back glass
-One day a 5.7 vortec V8 swap and dual exhaust. Havent looked to see how cheap it is on this truck, but it was quite easy on my S10 2WD, it was pretty much motor mounts, elec fans, exhaust was the only things that cost money and I think that was a total of about 3 hundred bucks.

Last edited by ohsofly; 06-20-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I was thinking about doing the same thing with the third brake light idea. How well do you think that will work? I wasn't sure if it would look stupid or not. How do you plan to mount it?

EDIT: I almost forgot, you might have to get a different rear glass to get that wing. I'm not sure if it just bolts on or not. It was only stock until '92 (my year! ). something to look into

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

money pit here you come

my advice: if you trully would like to keep it in budget, record everything you purchase for it and make a tally. im doing that for my k5 to make sure it stays within budget, sounds like you have the right idea going with the junkyard. those are going to be by far the cheapest and i would also check craigslist in your local area. i can take a pic of my 3rd brake light if you would like

Old 03-15-2010, 09:55 PM

For the third brakelight I would either figure a way to mouth a strip of those LED lights into that spoiler thing, or add one on the strip moulding on my rear bumper. Ive seen them for sale at the parts store here and I have a giftcard with about 2 hundred bux left on it to buy stuff I cant find at the junkyard. Had a little more but today I got the taillight tint and an offset O2 socket and thread chaser at the store.

As for the wing, it appreared to me when I was looking at it at the junkyard that it attached to the hingles for the back window, I think it will fit my truck just fine if I take the hinges from that truck too. I was going to take it but the truck had a nice interior and I didnt want to leave it back windowless cause it had the seats I wouldnt mind grabbing next time they have a 2 for 25 seat sale day. In fact, there was a newer 2gen tan insterior that I wouldnt mind taking the front leather power seats from. Havent looked to see if they will bolt in of not yet.

As for the budget recording, I am terrible at keeping receipts, so I was going to record on here what I spent for cash in the brackets. There is a few things missing that I bought that I will go and edit into it as I think of them. As it stands, I think I am still under a thousand bucks thus far...

Sure Ill have a look at your 3rd brakelight, and your K5 is sweet, I read your build thread. One of the first trucks my buddies owned was a mid 80s K5 ugly rust bucket gas guzzling smogger, but man that truck would go anywhere and wouldnt die. Good times were had with that truck.

Last edited by ohsofly; 03-15-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
EDIT: I almost forgot, you might have to get a different rear glass to get that wing. I'm not sure if it just bolts on or not. It was only stock until '92 (my year! ). something to look into

there is no difference in the glass-it's the hinges.

and yes you can unbolt them from the glass, just be careful you don't "pop" the glass when you tighten them back up.

i like the title of your build. been rackin' my brain for awhile now to come up with a name for mine...............

Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 AM

Yeah I thought it was appropriate... I feel like Al Bundy on paydays with everyone in my house leaving me with a skinny wallet ha ha. They are all girls too so they dont understand the need for a project vehicle to tinker with. Ive always had a project to work on, but before kids I could have nicer newer stuff, its amazing how that works.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:33 PM

BUMP - added photos finally

Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking 1st gen!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:04 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Nice looking 1st gen!

i agree Kyle.

and i hear ya on the kids part Thomas, i still haven't gotten around to restoring my Dart-yet!

but they become little (unpaid) labour when they're old enough.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Good start so far. The digi dash in my blazer has the same no speedo signals problem. I have an analog cluster that I am going to change out. Good score for 3 bills!

Quick Reply: My 93 4x4 project "Skinny Wallet"