Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My 93 4x4 project "Skinny Wallet"

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

hey, if you haven't done it already. why don't you fab up a bracket for the rear speakers? that way you can use the same brand/style and keep a similar sound going.

i'm really out of it today and can't really focus on all the write ups but good job on the rear hatch glass.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:38 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

July 6 - NAPA buying parts.

1 rear window strut - $40.99
1 fuel pump relay - $23.69
1 can SeaFoam Deep Creep - $1409

The relay is cause my truck has been losing power around 2000 RPM, not all the time, just occasionaly or just shutting off randomly latley. When it sputters I get zero pedal response till it fires back up on its own in 2 seconds - usually when driving about 50-60 and around 2000RPM. When it dies I have to pop the hood and tap on the FP relay before it will start right up again. I havent bothered trying to swap it with the horn so I just went and got a new one. Will install tonight and update. Found out I cant just click this truck into neutral and start it, I have to stop, put it in park, and then it will restart. Bummer. No codes, and Im not able to watch my FP gauge while I drive cause my hose is too fat to close the hood on.

The seafoam stuff is for my front end. I soaked it all this morning, and Ill do it again in a couple days. I play on banging apart the front end this weekend if I dont go camping instead. They dont sell this PB Blaster that you guys talk about in Canada that I can find. So Im trying out this new stuff. It was quite impressive already, you can watch the foamy stuff creep into the gaps while you watch, and it sure made the groany squeaky front end shut up in a hurry.

The rear strut, well I grabbed a pair at the junkyard, and one is dead already, and the other is not as tough as this new one is. The new one can hold the window up on its own. They come in 2 different legnths depending on if you have a rear defroster or not. The short one is 60 bucks and is about 16.5 inches fully extended, the long one is 40 bucks (the one I have) and is about 18.5 inches. It all depends which window you have. If you have holes in the window and these inserts that the strut connects to, then you take the expensive ones. If you have the steel frame around your window that the struts attach to, then you have the longer cheaper ones.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ohsofly
July 6 - NAPA buying parts.

1 rear window strut - $40.99
1 fuel pump relay - $23.69
1 can SeaFoam Deep Creep - $1409
Thats one expensive can of SeaFoam.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Here are some links for you to save you money

Rear window lift shock $21.98 + $5.99 Shipping = $27.97 HERE

Fuel Pump Relay $9.87 + $11.26 Shipping = $21.13 HERE

$24.68 in savings thought i would help ya out a bit with that

Almost forgot

Sea Foam $17.99 HERE Total savings for that $1391.01 hahaha

Last edited by Cavalier z24; 07-07-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran

hahaha i know he made a typo but it made me laugh and i needed something to make my night better

Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the laugh on my cruddy morning. It cost me $129.15 for a dolly ride home the 8km from work this morning. This is what they charge:
68.00 for the initial hook
2.50 per km x 8 = 20 for gas
35.00 to install the dollies
6.15 for the 5% tax here.

She started up and drove away from my work just fine, got about a KM away and quit so I coasted off the road, tried my usual tricks to get it going again and the battery died rather quick and she wouldnt go. Ive had my tools in the truck, so I managed to make sure that it was getting spark at the coil and the plug wires, and my fuel pressure is good at about 58... Ive had the gauge on for a couple days, and when it quits, the pressure will be 50 and holding if I dont turn off the key and just stop and pop the hood to look at it. My fuel pump always buzzes up to 60 when I turn on my key.

I have gone to NAPA and decided to bite the bullet and replace some things that would be best new. I know I could get this stuff cheaper online but I dont want to wait for the shipping, and I dont like using a C/C online very much. The savings dont really matter anymore now Im a single guy again, my life just got alot cheaper latley after leaving the ex. Heres the list for me to tackle this weekend. The pump will be first, gotta get it running, then if I still have time Ill do the rest or start on it. Goddamn if I didnt put 65 litres of gas in it a couple days ago, and only have 2 x 20 litre jerry cans... How easy is it to get a siphon hose into these things to get the gas out???

$127.33 - FE 0114 - DFP Fuel pump, they didnt have Delco but he said they are both made by the same people
$6.29 - FS22 - Fuel pump strainer.
$47.89 - TP25SB - Ignition Control Module (the other brand was about 150.00) dont know if mines bad but whatever Ill do it anyways.
$59.77 - AEC7070A - Front brake pads - Premium
$21.77 x 2 - 242-2046 + 242-2047 - Left and Right brake calipers reman'd.
$14.50 x 2 core on said calipers.
$19.09 x 2 - 38869 + 38870 - Front brake hoses.

My total was $353.40 for parts today. Plus that bastard of a tow bill, the driver was cool and he used all 4 straps and was professional and backed it into the garage for me too. I was also going to get the swaybar bushings inner and outer sets, but I have to measure my sway bar for them first unless you helpful guys can tell me the size. I had about 5 choices between 1" and 1+1/4" inch diameter, and 36MM was a choice too. I am also planning a junkyard run this weekend, but with some cold beers and a doobie this time, and Ill give my brother some coveralls so he wont whine about not wanting to get dirty. This is the things I am looking for at the junkyard:

-Another rear tailgate, its gotta be the same green and have a working lock and handle mechanism. Not really important, but if its there I will get it.
-A rear seatbelt buckle in grey, it seems there is a dime or two inside one of mine and someone has broken it trying to get them out.
-One more used rear window strut, now that I have a new one, I know how hard they should push up.
-Drivers door armrest portion in grey, or both sides in black if these came with black interiors?
-Black front and rear bumpers that are straight and have no mouldings on them.
-A smaller aftermarket steering wheel. Mines got a broken horn section that I cant fix so I have no horn.
-A rear slider window for my co-workers 86 S10 reg cab.
-A set of black wheels that would look cool while I get these ones acid bathed and powder coated black with silver studs. its about $400 to do a set of wheels at this place I know, more if you want them polished. I like these wheels but the clearcoat is peeling.
-A pair of nice bucket seats for my brothers S10 lowrider reg cab.
-A beautiful woman who likes to get dirty and who knows what a crankshaft is, and who would enjoy a beer in the junkyard on a hot afternoon
-The 6 fasteners (torx screws with chrome tapered washers) that hold the spare wheel mount on, I left them on my bumper when I took it off, and they are not there now and not on my front street, and not in my tires...
-Any cool lights or roofracks or whatever else might tickle my fancy while I wander around searching
-Any other trick parts that I might spy - rear lift shackles, nicer diff cover, front skid plate thats less beaten up, CAI, 5.7cpi for a good deal

Last edited by ohsofly; 07-09-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Yesterday the tow guy was nice enough to drop my truck on stands. Getting my 3é8 syphon hose into the tank was no prob. I filled 3 jerries.

Well I noticed when removing the tank that someone has tried to do it before and failed, but not before they twisted the lines on the sending unit to the point that they were easy to break on me. It would seem that the fittings are seized onto the shafts. The new ones have a ton of coppercoat on that point too. At least the rubber fuel hoses from tank to frame are in good shape still and stay original - those are the expensive steel tubing/rubber/steel lines.

So now since I need a sending unit I think Ill just get a new tank too and be done with it. Making sure there is alot of copper coat on all the bolts and fittings so this junk doesnt happen again. And hey! Maybe I will end up with an accurate fuel gauge again!!!
$146.91 - Spectra Premium gas tank
$52.50 - Spectra Premium sending unit.

I do all my work with my supervisor `Cleoparrotra`looking over making sure I dont forget anything. yes, she talks, its more of a mumble though "God damn bird"..."Shhhhh"..."*****"..."Shiit"..."Hellllllll looooo"..."Pretty pretty birdie"..."Hey"... and lots of other mumblings I cant figure out what they are, and she does the wolf whistle and other various clicks and sounds. Not much of a squaker ever, she just sits silently and listens.

Old tank is out and in the junk trailer. New parts will be going in later today when I get up - im a night shift worker. Gotta change a broken wheel stud for a buddy too.

Last edited by ohsofly; 07-10-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a pretty good price for a tank and sending unit. I didn't realize that's all they were. I guess I'm used to the inflated prices of f-body stuff. But nice progress so far, that's a nice looking blazer

Old 07-10-2010, 04:02 PM

Yeah and thats in canadian dollars too. My kid brother used to work for a place that sells budy parts, so he gets me a hookup on stuff for the body. I ddidnt know that they sold gas tanks too till he told me to wait while he went and bought it for me. Old tank was filthy and pretty nasty, so I didnt want to clean it off, and this way I wont get any junk in the new tank when taking it apart Anyhow, off to work on this truck now that Im up.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Sometimes that BCAA pays for itself many times over The sending unit seems decently priced. I should change mine to have an accurate gas gauge. I'd powder coat the sh*t out of that gas tank first too.

Quick Reply: My 93 4x4 project "Skinny Wallet"