Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Haven't done any real work lately but I did find another Pirate score last night!

The pic is from the for sale post but both hoses, all needed fittings, the steering box end cap and steering box top cap drilled and tapped are all included for $130 shipped to my door! All I will need is the axle side mount and will be ready to go.

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-bc2b653f-9e71-44b5-9ae4-8cb5198dca4c_zpsbosphnko.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 10:26 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

That Surplus Center is about 10 minutes from my house. Never been in there but at least I know they offer some stuff with a purpose.
Speedway Motors is even closer which has come in handy for many modifications.

Good find at about 1/3 of new price.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Yeah from looking into hydro assist in the past and not wanting to do it now but in the future I knew what was involved as far as parts and cost so when I saw this pop up I had to jump on it even tho it may just sit on the shelf until my motor swap is complete.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:16 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Just put a 4l80e in while you're at it and you'll never have to worry. Plus it will hold up to any and all engine mods you do. The 4l60e will probably not fare well with that weight and any hard wheeling. They are not as easy to come by but in stock form will hold up to more abuse than a performance built 4l60e.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've been searching but they are expensive!! I'd also like a nv4500/241 combo but who knows what I'll end up with lol!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 AM
skotti will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Just picked up a freshly modified harness by Sho-Me-Speed with 3 wire hookup and provisions for speedo, tach, oil pressure etc and wired for the 4l60 from pirate for $250! After some research on the pcm that came with the motor it looks like it is the one from the 6.0 and setup for flex fuel that has the blue/green connectors so I am going to sell this one (if anyone will buy it) and pick up a 411 pcm.

I havent been on much, but was visiting, checking in on everything.

Anyways, I used the blue/green pcm when i did my 5.3. In any case your pcm will need flashed to rid of security, and whatnots eliminated from harness. It would be kind of dependent on harness. Both pcms can be used but wiring is a little different. 99-02 pcm blue/red pcm. and 03-07 blue/green pcm.

I dont know if i skipped over any important detail, that makes what i said totally useless...haha.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:44 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

An NV5600 in that would be SWEET - totally bulletproof ... and if it should blow up, you can at least fix it yourself on a bench with some large sockets and snap-ring pliers.

I'm a big fan of manuals for that reason.

I would imagine those aren't cheap either ...

Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skotti
I havent been on much, but was visiting, checking in on everything.

Anyways, I used the blue/green pcm when i did my 5.3. In any case your pcm will need flashed to rid of security, and whatnots eliminated from harness. It would be kind of dependent on harness. Both pcms can be used but wiring is a little different. 99-02 pcm blue/red pcm. and 03-07 blue/green pcm.

I dont know if i skipped over any important detail, that makes what i said totally useless...haha.

Yeah I have read/seen people using the blue/green pcm but since I found the wire harness so cheap and its setup for the red/blue pcm I'll pick up a different pcm. If I were going to buy a harness custom made or do it myself I think I would have stuck with the pcm I have now but they are cheap compared to a harness so I'll swap them lol! And please keep any info coming I always welcome info even if its something I may have read theres a chance I may have forgotten it or theres a better way

Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
An NV5600 in that would be SWEET - totally bulletproof ... and if it should blow up, you can at least fix it yourself on a bench with some large sockets and snap-ring pliers.

I'm a big fan of manuals for that reason.

I would imagine those aren't cheap either ...

I don't know if a trans that large would fit under an s10 lol! I found a guy with a 4l80e/241 combo for $500 but its far away and he isn't wanting to ship it plus for that cheap I imagine it would need a complete rebuild.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 PM
skotti will become famous soon enough

Repining the harness is really easy. Im not sure if the actual connectors are different though. lt1swap.com has the pinouts for both pcms. pop connector off, move a lil tab, pull wire out. put it where it needs to be. I had bought a stand alone stripped harness, i had to pin mine to work in blazer,and for 4l60. Easy!!

Just an option since you have the pcm. lt1swap can flash it as well. Great guy to deal with!

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build