Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:29 AM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

I'm my opinion, you've got the engine out and apart. So you really should have the lower end done. Small price of insurance to protect all your other efforts. New rings, seals and bearings. Freeze plugs replaced too. Have the oil passage openings machined for maximum flow. If'n it were me. :-)

Old 12-27-2014, 06:37 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Yeah I agree.

When I did the engine swap in the Blazer, I just tossed the Jimmy engine in - the thought crossed my mind to replace all the gaskets ... but I said NAAAW - that thing never leaked a drop!! Well .... about 4 months later it was pissing a quart out of the pan every 600 miles. Had to do it twice ...

I also tried to save a buck and reused the gasket on the oil filter adapter on the block. That leaks to this day!

Lesson learned - never EVER EEVVVEEERRR cut corners on an engine while it's out of the vehicle. Do EVERYTHING, then install it worry free.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I have decided I will have the bottom end freshened up. Like y'all stated it just makes sense so why not do it right the first time! I got a quote from my machine shop to tear it down, hot tank the block, heads, and whatever else I want to throw in, inspect and check all measurements, hone, and reassemble everything with new bearings everywhere for $600. That was much cheaper than I was expecting so that was also a nice surprise I'll try and get the block dropped off this week so they can get started.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Good deal!

Thing will run mint. No oil leaks, and TONS of power. Probably a few ponies more than if you ran it as-is. Everything will be new. That engine will last you forever.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Make sure you check the oil pan. I just found out that mine has a hairline crack in it. I never noticed it when we put the engine in.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I figure I don't ever plan to sell the blazer anyway and there isn't any rust on the thing anywhere so with the fresh motor it should last me a really long time as long as I don't hurt it to bad playing in the dirt! My oil pan looks fine from what I can tell. The bonus for me is that if I were to have an issue after the motor is in I can just crawl under there and swap it out since I have nothing at all in the way

As for the 4.3 I just received a package from a member over on s10forum with a used but new style spider injector assembly and bracket along with tb, upper intake manifold and hardware all for the wopping cost of $25 to ship it to me! Most will say to not use a used spider but I'm only looking to make the truck run for a few months until I'm ready to pull the motor so $250 for a new spider didn't seem necessary to me.

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-6d6273fe-9b39-426a-8df5-de173b498b41_zpsferowgwx.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Starting Member
jbrooks19 is on a distinguished road

Always a great read when you stop by this thread, thanks Rex for keeping me entertained!!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

I try! I hope it gets more interesting soon tho I feel like its been pretty boring lately lol!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 AM
Starting Member
jbrooks19 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure it will speed up soon lol.. Not to change the subject, but I have a 95 Blazer with the 3-Button 4wd and i'm having issues, I've seen how people cut a hole in the floor board and modify a wrench type or some form of shifter to manually shift the T.C., How do you feel about this? Good idea or no? I'm just tired of electronics failing.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

I think its a great idea! I would have done it if I hadn't bought a 231 case. I am a big fan of removing as many electronics as possible. I am hunting for a NV4500/241 combo to put behind the 5.3 and if I find one I will be selling my 231.

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build