Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Need Help w/'90 K5 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
cedarforest1 is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help w/'90 K5 Silverado

Planning to change the automatic rear window mechanism (aka: P.O.S.) with a manual crank found in earlier and non-silverado models.

Anyone do this or know of a reason it CANNOT be done? Anything I need to look out for?

Plan to order parts from LMC TRuck but they have only sales people - no tech staff that knows anything.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should have no problems other than cost. The fitting together of all of the parts can be cumbersome, but not impossible. My advice would be to remove the glass completely. Then get your regulator, wiring, etc out of there and fit in the manual regulator.

I am going to be doing the exact opposite with mine only I plan on keeping the manual stuff around for backup. I might be interested in the parts you take out. Especially the wiring, switches, etc.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM
cedarforest1 is on a distinguished road

Hell, I will GIVE you the parts if you pay for shipping.

I just need to make sure the parts can in fact be retrofitted. I know most chevy parts can be retrofitted to different years. Did my front 'clip' this way
Just want to be sure this isnt' the ONE exception

Thanks

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

These diagrams should help. I know they list 85-86, but other than PN changes, the diagram is practically identical to what I show in my '74 parts manual.

Basically you are going to swap out the power regulator and parts 4-8,12 for the manual regulator and parts 74-84.

If my parts '74 Jimmy had its tailgate, I'd swap parts with you, but it doesn't.