Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project: 74 K5 (Kenosha)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

also. idk if it matters but it says cheyanne on the dash...

Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 AM

here is a video of me starting it up last night. i know the belt is a little loose...

74 K5 blazer open headers - YouTube

and the list of things i have to get for it so far:

Fuel lines

radiator or to fix the leak in the one i have now

new gaskets all around

carb rebuild kit

new intake maybe snorkel

new fenders. 2 for only 266 shipped

plates, registration, insurance,....

seat belts

redo wiring

fix the rear window

new headers with exhaust system

fix the heater/ac unit. (the previous owner ripped out the ac. im used to not having it in my 96 so i will be fine without it in this one)

patch holes in the floor

and maybe an electric fan.

as for the things i would like to have on there, here is a list of play things i want:

speakers

new paint

new seats

floor mats

new axles

new hood

body & suspension lift

new dash

and last but not least a new top.

the list goes on and on and im sure i will find other things i need to fix but for right now im keeping it simple.

Last edited by litterbug; 08-31-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:12 PM

so i started ripping out the dash on here today and all the wiring. can anybody tell me what i need on here electrically in order for it to actually run? i know i need a couple things but i want to put a new fuse box in and im trying to figure out how many terminals i need in order for it to run properly. if anybody can help me here please do!!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:17 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Engine shouldn't have any computer control at all, so I'd say ignition, power and ground for the battery, starter, etc and headlights/taillights/turn signals, etc would be all that's really "needed."

Oh, and fuel pump too if it's electric. Somehow I doubt that's the case though.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:23 PM

the pump is on the block. so im assuming its not either. i found a wiring harness on ebay for 120 shipped. think thats a good idea for 14 circuits?

T-4 Universal 14 Circuit Wiring Harness NEW Rat Hot Rod | eBay

otherwise ill just piece it together but i think this is a damn good deal.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM

so i got the fuel cell all mounted. with the fuel filter mounted on the cross member that the old fuel tank used to be strapped to. it runs much better now and fires up when i want it to. lol no more fuel leaking back into the tank. hehe.

now its time for the carb. if i can identify it that is.... help???

Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 PM

while im waiting to get the rebuild kit for the carb, i decided to take off the valve covers. that sucker is caked with all sorts of sludge. so now i think my main plan is taking the engine out and just taking it apart, cleaning it, putting a few new parts on it, then slapping it back in.

doesnt seem too hard. i mean there are only a couple mounts and hoses i have to disconnect. i am a little confused about the trans though. do i have to remove it before i take the engine out or do i take the entire thing out then unbolt the trans?

wish there was a walkthrough about it.

anyways while i was bored i decided to take the exhaust manifold off just for fun. so now i know i wont be tempted to try and start it. lol. or maybe i will.... haha

Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You dont have to take the trans off... But you have to remove the rad and front bulkhead to be able to move the motor/trans unit forward and out instead of just the motor up and out... I would just drop the trans and the pull the engine up and out myself.

For the carb, you may wanna just scrap it and try and find something on the buy/sell ads or craigslist. A 4bbl 550 or 650 cfm should suffice just fine. And a rebuild kits gonna cost less for an aftermarket carb too.

The 12 circuit harness should work just fine for you. 120 is a good price. Much less headache than splicing your own. All I can think you need is
wipers
headlights
signals
horn
dash lights/radio
starter
taillights
windows (if you have power)

There should be basically no wiring on the engine at all for you to have to mess with. If there is it will be cruise control or an electric choke...

Last edited by ohsofly; 09-11-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:10 PM

the only wiring is to the distributor. it looks new along with new plugs and wires.

now that im thinking about it more and more. im thinking i want to take the body off and maybe swap the body from my dads jeep. he has a 2 door cherokee so it might fit kind of. there is no rust on it either. i will make some measurements tomorrow. this was my dads idea so i will see where it goes. either way i want to just get it running for now.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

NO!!! That's sacrilegious!

Quick Reply: Project: 74 K5 (Kenosha)