Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Maritime Blazin'

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sporty_drew
What are you going to use for your undercoating?
...undercoating. lol. I have a can of AC Delco Rubberized undercoating sitting in the shed. I'll have to pick up another can for the wheel wells though since I don't think the can I have will do it all. I'm not too picky in undercoating. Just plain old Black undercoating. Pretty much whatever I can scrape up for free. It pays to have friends at the dealership lol

Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Lol okay I was just wondering what brand you were using and whether it was can, spray (gun) or roll on. I've used the can type and want to try a gun type next time to get a better finish.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

It's just a can. I haven't had any issues with the can..but then again I'm really just doing it to make it all black to match the truck lol.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I did a whole frame on an H1 hummer with spray on rubberized under coating, the rear hatch inside pannel, my bumper and my heat shield. i LOVE the stuff. comes out matte, thick, and textured. Give it plenty of time to set (like 12 hours...) and it will stand up to a lot.
BTW: Sisk, i really dig the new sig. it's awesome!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 PM
BF Veteran

I agree. I did my tail light brush guards in the stuff and I really love the look of it. It's got a good texture and give a real good rugged look.
And thanks for the comment on the sig. Everyone seems to think the same lol. I've gotten comments in about every post, so it looks like it's a hit. I was bored this morning (I'm working evenings this week, so I don't start until 2pm) and looked up photoshop vids. I discovered one on doing clipping layers and came up with the picture behind the text idea. It turned out really good. I'm very proud of this one lol. I like it a lot.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

what is the back ground (scratch blue metal look). It's what makes the off centered name pop so much. the color is close to your truck, but your truck is B&W in the pic. just an all in all eye catching set up. very slick indeed.

as for the undercoating, i think it was you that said you had toyed with the idea of doing your whole truck in it. i was thinking along the same lines. going two tone rocker guard/undercoat, or bedliner/undercoat but that is beyond me at this point and I fear my paint skills vs. intended results

Eitherway, your ol' girl is coming along quite nicely. keep plunking away on the build. you are motivating me to get something like this going soon...

Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
what is the back ground (scratch blue metal look).
Looks like the trees in the original picture to me, atleast I think lol

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
BF Veteran

what is the back ground (scratch blue metal look). It's what makes the off centered name pop so much. the color is close to your truck, but your truck is B&W in the pic. just an all in all eye catching set up. very slick indeed.
Originally Posted by sporty_drew
Looks like the trees in the original picture to me, atleast I think lol
As drew so keenly spotted, that picture within the text is actually this one:

Which I made black and white. You're right though, it doesn't look that much like trees. I went with the B&W exactly for that reason, it draws the eye to the offset and somewhat cutoff text (which is my favorite part, how to top of the text is cutoff). I'm not sure where the main color of the sig came from. Photoshop did some funny stuff on my when I was doing the top color. I was going for a green, but it came out as that teal color. I liked it and decided to leave it.
I added the distressed filter over top of everything and called it a day. I've gotten compliments all over for it, so it was definitely a success .

as for the undercoating, i think it was you that said you had toyed with the idea of doing your whole truck in it. i was thinking along the same lines. going two tone rocker guard/undercoat, or bedliner/undercoat but that is beyond me at this point and I fear my paint skills vs. intended results

Eitherway, your ol' girl is coming along quite nicely. keep plunking away on the build. you are motivating me to get something like this going soon...
I did toy with the idea of doing my whole truck in it. Personally I wouldn't go with the 2 tone just because I don't tend to like two tone. Thanks for the compliments as always though...keeps me going

And it's raining out today (go figure eh?) so I won't be undercoating the frame today. There's always tomorrow though....

Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran

Well I got the frame (any myself) all undercoated today. It was fairly windy, so my hands are still covered in undercoating lol. And let me tell you it doesn't come off easily.

Here's the before shot:

And after:

The sun made it a little hard to show how bad it was before. But you can see in it my fall shots. It stuck out like a sore thumb:

Next thing (after I get another can of undercoating) will be to do the wheel wells.

Last edited by Sisk; 11-04-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 AM
blazerguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

wear gloves this time lol

Quick Reply: Project Maritime Blazin'