Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Sleeper Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 06:56 PM
RRousseau is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck
The radiator and fan setup used to be sold by Current Performance, but is no longer offered.
I used the factory throttle cable with the truck intake and im still using it even with the LSA. For the throttle cable bracket, with the truck intake i just used a 2000ish chevy truck throttle bracket as they came with a DBC throttle body. Then when i switched to the LSA i cut up the truck bracket and made my own to fit.
My first steering shaft was fabbed up from a jeep steering shaft, but it was not the best setup. Im now running a Holley steering shaft as it fits and looks much nicer in it.
Thank you for the speedy response! And all of that info. I'm hoping to acquire parts and do one build instead of many small sections, she has been my daily for 10 years and I'm about to roll 200k miles on the 4.3 that's in her. I've already started to modify her in small strides. Being in NY she is in a lot worse shape then yours, but at this point she is more sentimental to me and worth putting an LS into. Another few questions, what flex plate are you running? And are you running the spacer on the back of the crank?

Thank you Again!

Old 01-03-2022, 08:24 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RRousseau
Thank you for the speedy response! And all of that info. I'm hoping to acquire parts and do one build instead of many small sections, she has been my daily for 10 years and I'm about to roll 200k miles on the 4.3 that's in her. I've already started to modify her in small strides. Being in NY she is in a lot worse shape then yours, but at this point she is more sentimental to me and worth putting an LS into. Another few questions, what flex plate are you running? And are you running the spacer on the back of the crank?

Thank you Again!
Im happy to help! Feel free to ask any questions as they my help others in the future when finding this thread.

Im now running a Hays SFI flex plate. But until this one, i just ran the factory 5.3 flex plate. Since my transmission is designed for a LS engine, i dont need any spacers or anything like that.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:58 PM

I figured i should post some updates.
Over the winter i swapped over to a Holley Terminator X Max system due to wanting to run flex fuel and not mess with HPTuners anymore.
I picked up a terminator integration harness from Current Performance to allow all of my gauges to continue working like factory.
Wiring was a bit fun...

All done and back like it was before with the addition of a flex fuel sensor.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:01 PM

first time out at the drag strip running E85 i think i found the limit of a 8.5 10 bolt......
all 4 plug welds broke and the center carrier twisted on the axle tubes along with taking 3 teeth off the ring gear.

I did not know i broke it until the top end of the track so i only started lifting when the truck started vibrating at around 115MPH.
Not a bad run for a broken rear diff......

Old 06-02-2022, 07:01 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

That's so clean! Great job! Sucks about the rear end. What are your plans with that?

Old 06-02-2022, 08:55 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Well I've always heard those plug welds are a pain to remove, now I know how it's done! I'd suggest at least a 9 inch rear to replace yours. Good run.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:02 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Which do you think? Teeth are the cause or the result? Do you think it would have held if tubes were welded all around the circumference? What now - another 10 bolt, a 12 bolt, or a 9 inch? Sure seems like a fun truck and a real sleeper! Mine is back on the street now.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:25 PM

I believe i am going to upgrade to a proper built and braced 9in.
But the companies im looking at are around 8 or more weeks out on a differential build, so i am down for awhile.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Which do you think? Teeth are the cause or the result? Do you think it would have held if tubes were welded all around the circumference? What now - another 10 bolt, a 12 bolt, or a 9 inch? Sure seems like a fun truck and a real sleeper! Mine is back on the street now.
I believe the broken teeth are a result of the pinion going up high and odd stresses on the pinion at the time. Like i mentioned, i never lifted until the top end of the track and looking at everything i believe this broke on the launch, so the was some odd forces put on the pinion. The gear pattern looked perfect. I think it would have held if the tubes were welded, but its not worth fixing for me. I found 1 guy near me who is able to fix the housing and weld the tubes, but i was quoted $1200 for that work. On top of that i would need another ring and pinion with new bearings throughout. Just way to much work to put into a 10 bolt when for just a bit more i can swap to a 9in and be hopefully done.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:23 AM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Good pass on a broken rear end! I bet it broke coming off the line. And yes I would go straight to a 9 inch.

Quick Reply: Project Sleeper Blazer