Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Sleeper Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:32 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Nice job. Looks like you had to totally sink the radiator into the support which is what I expected when you said you had the engine all the way forward. I'm working on a swap with a tight engine compartment (a ZR2) with a 5.7. The 4wd setup makes things really tight on the ds. Are you running your fans off the 0411? I'm assuming that's the drill. What are you using to do your tuning with? Did you keep the 5 speed for another project???

Old 12-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by eshaw
Nice job. Looks like you had to totally sink the radiator into the support which is what I expected when you said you had the engine all the way forward. I'm working on a swap with a tight engine compartment (a ZR2) with a 5.7. The 4wd setup makes things really tight on the ds. Are you running your fans off the 0411? I'm assuming that's the drill. What are you using to do your tuning with? Did you keep the 5 speed for another project???

I have a 01 ZR2 Blazer and am currently putting together a list of all parts for the 5.7 swap like you're doing. Would be interested if you have a "thread" somewhere that outlines any struggles or major issues or "I wish I would of did it that way" type nuggets.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:05 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

I currently have the factory 4.3 411 PCM in my truck reflashed to the 5.3 setup and it runs everything including the electric fans. I have the Current Performance 411 PCM sitting on a shelf as a backup. I use HPTuners with an AEM wideband to tune the truck.
I actually sold the factory engine and transmission for $600 after i did the swap. The NV3500 is an ok trans for low power and for a truck, but the ratios between the gears are terrible for racing and they are a bit weak when you abuse them. I also like an auto for racing.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:30 PM

How long have you been doing tuning with HP???

Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM

How long have you been doing tuning with HP???
I have only tuned this truck. I am no expert with it, but i can get it running nicely and correctly. It just takes me a long time versus how quick a good tuner could do it.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:05 PM
Starting Member
1981gMachine is on a distinguished road

Going LSA, I don't know if you are still worried about your intake. Looking at photos of your engine bay. I think I'd take a look at moving the battery to the back. That corner looks less cluttered compared to the driver side. You might gain access to the fender metal in which you could open it up to pick up fender air. If you cut the opening nicely, you can split a piece of vac hose and push along the edge. Will give it a cleaner look to go with your build. Awesome job on the project.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Zenith
I have a 01 ZR2 Blazer and am currently putting together a list of all parts for the 5.7 swap like you're doing. Would be interested if you have a "thread" somewhere that outlines any struggles or major issues or "I wish I would of did it that way" type nuggets.
No build thread for mine. Once I get everything ironed out I'll probably post a build thread on it. If you need help I'll do what I can to give you a hand but my build is a truck, not a Blazer.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:05 PM
Beginning Member
FletcherTime is on a distinguished road

Did the airbox bring temps down? Keep us up to date! This would be a fun project, but knowing me I'd get pissed and jump ship very quickly. Also never done transmission work before (let's hope it stays that way haha)

Old 03-05-2020, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by FletcherTime
Did the airbox bring temps down? Keep us up to date! This would be a fun project, but knowing me I'd get pissed and jump ship very quickly. Also never done transmission work before (let's hope it stays that way haha)
The airbox brough my Intake Air Temps down about 30 degrees in the Texas heat.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:21 PM

Still need a few more parts, but its almost time to start the next phase of this swap. HAHA

Quick Reply: Project Sleeper Blazer