Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

PROJECT solid axle swap/lift

Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Wow, that's some awesome progress. It's lookin' real good. What are your plans to finish off the front end? Are you making your own bumper or bull bar?
Also, will it make it out of your garage? looks awefuly close to your roof lol.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

heres a cool way to mount the rear of the front springs. i was gonna go this way but didnt want to cut into the frame incase i measured wrong

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Starting Member
xtreme821 is an unknown quantity at this point

how did you do yours ?
that way seems pretty good, cutting the frame is probably going to be best for strength, and it is at that weird spot where the frame bends...
and sisk, its in my driveway, no clearance issues there. just weather ones. stock bumper for now until i make a sick winch bumper. one thing at a time though

Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran

I'm on my phone so Can't post pics. I put the shackles in the front. Half the reason was the pinion angle. The shackles tipped the pinion up a little bit which was needed. I still had to grind the stops off my front driveshaft, binded at full drop. Mine is just a ghetto offroad only truck so was built ugly. Ill post pics soon as I can

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran

i did the front in the typical boring crossmember set up

the rear i just used some 3x4 inch square metal and cut it to fit the frame, and just braced the hell out of it, pretty simple. held up great so far

my whole thought process was if that part bends, breaks, or falls off i can just cut/grind it off and replace it.

also you can see in that last pic the stock crossmember doesnt work driveshaft goes right into it (edit.. im running a np208 case)

Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Starting Member

i made a crossmember for the backside, full length from frame rail to frame rail. welded it up last night, its going to bolt in on each side of the frame to make it fully removable in case of tranny issues in the future. drilling it out in a few minutes, just waiting for some bits to be dropped off

Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member
cmh_20 is on a distinguished road

do you guys think i could use a dana 44 from a dodge ramcharger under my 84 s-10 blazer or will i have to get something from a fullsize chevy or jeep?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member
bob_elder is on a distinguished road

awesome build so far. ive been thinkin bout doin a SFA swap on my 89 s10 blazer.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by xtreme821
i made a crossmember for the backside, full length from frame rail to frame rail. welded it up last night, its going to bolt in on each side of the frame to make it fully removable in case of tranny issues in the future. drilling it out in a few minutes, just waiting for some bits to be dropped off
post up them pics... in the future i plan on doing this again to a street truck so id like some more proper ways of doing this

Originally Posted by cmh_20
do you guys think i could use a dana 44 from a dodge ramcharger under my 84 s-10 blazer or will i have to get something from a fullsize chevy or jeep?
all the same crap. if your lucky that dodge may have the flat top knuckles on it so you can do crossover steering cheaper and easier. you can put dump truck axles under your truck. anything is possible

Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Starting Member

done welding. got those pics for you guys..
first few are front crossmember tied into frame rails with leaf hangers welded onto bottom.
next is the one i made for the backside, same idea, but drilled to bolt on -still have lots more holes to drill
last is the new leaf spring perch on the rear, ****ty weld job because i let my friend do it but ill clean it up with the grinder before paint

heres the rest

Attached Thumbnails PROJECT solid axle swap/lift-pa290234.jpg   PROJECT solid axle swap/lift-pa290235.jpg   PROJECT solid axle swap/lift-pa290236.jpg   PROJECT solid axle swap/lift-pa290237.jpg   PROJECT solid axle swap/lift-pa290238.jpg  

PROJECT solid axle swap/lift-pa290239.jpg   PROJECT solid axle swap/lift-pa290240.jpg   PROJECT solid axle swap/lift-pa290241.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PROJECT solid axle swap/lift