Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Re: 1989 Blazer build (2wd)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:44 PM
Starting Member
jaymzz is on a distinguished road

Worked on my fenders most of the day. It is taking some time though because I want them to have the same curves and lines as the body with a modern touch.

It took a long time to get to this point because wanted it to line up perfectly. I did some reading this morning on Dobbertin's website to determine the best ride height for my suspension and ended up lifting my Blazer an inch. That one inch corrected all my clearance issues I was having last night because I think I was way over thinking it.

Starting to fit all together!!! I welded up some of the top to get a visual and also to start measuring and planning the rest of the fenders and doors. So far this is going a lot smoother than the last wide body I did on a Subaru years ago. I have learned a lot and loving doing fab work in my shop again. I did learn today that the back of the s10 fender sticks out a little more that the front, so ended up tapering it a half an inch in the rear.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:30 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

This is coming along nicely! Keep up the good work!

Old 04-19-2019, 03:11 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice work!

I like the idea to at least consider a crash and what will happen to tubing and such if not pre-bent.
Good thinking.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Starting Member

Not sure if I am going to be able to go out in the shop tomorrow so here is what I got done today. Doing both fenders at the same time so progress feels slow but visually it is starting to transform.

Wife wanted a selfie. I don't put my face on the internet much so here was a selfie at 5 am this morning for her. lol

Still a very long ways to go but the design of the front of the fenders has been bothering me all week. I did a ton of different designs this morning trying to figure out how I wanted them to look. My original plan was to have it curved in the front the same angle as the wheel lip but it didn't go with the body style once I had it all mocked up. I still have a lot of metal to weld in and then a lot of metal shaping before mud but it gives somewhat of a visual what it is going to look like. I know what it will look like when done in my head.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Starting Member

Ordered my Corvette suspension adapters yesterday from Dobbertin! Very excited to get them in a week or two because that is one step closer to starting on my chassis.
Today worked on the fenders some more. After a bunch of measuring I either need to move my door hinges out or buy some aftermarket hinges so I have the correct door to fender clearance when opening the door. I knew I was going to have to do something but kind of been putting it off and working on the front of the fender all the while sneaking peaks at the back trying to get ideas. After posting this I am going to start looking into hotrod hinges and either get an idea or order them. Years ago I started working at night and weekends at a custom hotrod shop to learn fabrication and get out of the collision industry. I was there about three weeks and couldn't go in one night because other plans. The next day showed up to go to work about five in the afternoon and a bunch of cops were there. The guy teaching me that I had know for a couple years got shot and killed while working and the owner of the shop also was shot and killed. Ended up being the wife of the owners boyfriend and my friend was in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were shot when I was supposed to be there the night before. Ever since then been kind of shy of going into hotrod shops and learning from them. I am learning as I go, so if anyone see's something that could be done easier or better please let me know.

Here is what I did today. Still a lot of work to go but the shape is coming together! Where that circle is I am thinking about putting a three inch tube there for brake cooling. Thoughts? I was thinking the air would be coming off of the filler and that would be a good location. But not sure....

Old 04-28-2019, 07:53 PM
Starting Member

So didn't have a bunch of time to work on the Blazer today, but do think I figured out a new door hinge idea. I looked into hotrod hinges last night and would rather spend $450 on tube or something else needed. After doing some house chores I started looking at a K5 Blazer I have for parts and decided to use the hinges from it and extend my A pillar out about six inches. This will give me bolt on hinges and be free just some time.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:13 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Looking really good. Are you going with the same idea on the rear?

Old 04-28-2019, 08:24 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I'm really liking how it's all metal, no glued on plastic or fiberglass mess

Great job so far!

Old 04-28-2019, 08:48 PM
Starting Member

Thanks! Yes going very similar design in the back also. I want them to match in style as much as I can. When I bought my wifes new sti it drives me crazy the wide fenders don't match the rear at all. Shame on Subaru but she likes it.
Starting on the doors now to take a break from the fenders. Going to be some massive work. lol

Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 PM
Starting Member

Someone on another forums I belong to did this for me. Thinking about having him do a whole rendering for me.

Quick Reply: Re: 1989 Blazer build (2wd)