Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Re: 1989 Blazer build (2wd)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Starting Member
jaymzz is on a distinguished road

Not getting any actual work done this weekend. Was supposed to help a friend move so didn't bring any tools home to work on the Blazer. He has the stomach flu and in turn I got my old laptop out and started learning Bend-tech and trying to figure out how to design my chassis on it. They say it is easy to learn! I beg do differ!!! After about 9 hours of messing with it and realizing that I have to start over is frustrating but I will get it. Could have had most if not all of it drawn up on paper by now but trying to get into modern times. So hopefully sometime in the near future I will have some plans for my chassis in the digital age hopefully. If not paper it will be and a lot of cardboard or conduit.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:47 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jaymzz
Someone on another forums I belong to did this for me. Thinking about having him do a whole rendering for me.

That's gonna look sweet!

Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Starting Member

Been a week! My health took a very bad turn for the worse this week or rather has been but caught up with me this week. Seems my spine doesn't like me anymore from my arthritis and is collapsing. Over the last eight years I have lost six inches in height and now at an even six foot tall. Was wondering why I wasn't hitting my head on stuff as much. lol So the company I work for is looking for a different position for me and will either end up in training or repair support and loose way over half my pay but gets me off the floor banging on cars. I am very sad about this because my passion in life is cars. My Blazer financially is going to slow down but do plan on working on it when I can with what I have and it will get done.
From my health declining I have decided to build a 2x4 1/8 wall frame at work before I am transferred. Going to order the metal next week and plan on in the next few weeks having my Blazer a roller again.

I got my Dobbertin adapters Tuesday and have been excited to bolt the front together to see if my math was correct on the width of the fenders. It was!!!

Here is with all the front suspension bolted together and the crossmember rough measured where it will be.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
Frank Bukowski is on a distinguished road
Default 1989 Blazer build (2wd)

Sorry to hear your health is declining , I know that can be a source of major frustration , though you seem to be taking it in stride ! Glad to hear that the company you work for is keeping you & making room for you in another section !
Will be looking forward to seeing the progress you are continually making on your build !

Old 05-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Starting Member

Thank you! I have been dealing with health issues for about 10 years and went through a rough patch mentally at first but now it is what it is. That is actually what started this Blazer build. I knew it might be the last build I do so want it nice.
Going to try to have it a roller very soon.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran

Looking good. It's starting to come together...

Old 05-19-2019, 06:34 PM
Starting Member

Here is what I got done this weekend. I did learn a lot about hinge locations and still need to do the other side and then a huge amount of sheetmetal work.

My first attempt and was so proud of it until this morning when I checked the door clearance to the fender and realized I was way off. Part of learning and won't do that again. lol

Moved the hinges forward about 4 inches and now everything clears and reinforced the hell out of the door and pillar. Plan is to sheetmetal the A pillar and that will lock everything in for strength and longevity hopefully.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:33 AM
BF Veteran

Nice, I've never seen a setup like that before. Coming along nicely!

Old 05-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Starting Member

Thanks! They are suicide door hinges for hotrods but will work great for the widebody also. Needed to bring the pivot point out a long ways for the door to clear the fenders.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member
Frank Bukowski is on a distinguished road

Looks great jaymzz !
Good to see you are making progress on your
build ! I'm looking forward to seeing more Posts !!

Quick Reply: Re: 1989 Blazer build (2wd)