Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Taking the stroker out of my 78 k5

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 AM
Starting Member
1oldK5 is on a distinguished road
Default Taking the stroker out of my 78 k5

Withing the next few days (hopefully starting tomorrow) I will be taking the stroker motor out of my blazer. Not to worry it will be put back in, just taking it out for a little maintnance. I will just be replacing the front main seal, timing chain gasket, rear main seal, and intake gasket. Surely i could do all except the rear main seal with the motor in, just easier to do it while its out. Only doing this because the timing chain gasket and/or front main seal has gone bad so now my truck blows oil all over!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck! Should be an easy task to complete.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Starting Member

Thanks. Its not goin to be too hard. Only thing holding the motor in currently is the motor mounts but once i borrow a set of small rims with low pro tires from a friend to get the truck lower it will be removed.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Starting Member

Ok so I've been pretty busy between my work schedule, my buddys work schedule (the truck is at his house), and all the other random drama going on. Here are a couple pics of the progress.

The small tires are the only way the engine hoist would be able to lift the motor high enough to be removed.

Thats how the motor looked when it came out. More recently we began tearing it apart to start replacing gaskets but no pics of that yet.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:49 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I am guessing that you have figured out by now that it is possible to replace all of seals that you mentioned, including the rear main seal, without ever removing the engine from the truck.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Starting Member
Johns1987Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice! Now all you need is a gold-chain steering wheel, some tassels to dangle from the windshield, plush seats and you could hang out like cheech and chong!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Starting Member

I don't see how you could change the rear main without taking the engine out of the truck seeing how the trans flywheel and torque converter would be blocking it.

Yea johns a few of my buddies keep tryin to convince me to drive it around with those retarded little tires on the front haha.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:34 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 1oldK5
I don't see how you could change the rear main without taking the engine out of the truck seeing how the trans flywheel and torque converter would be blocking it.
I thought that it was an older engine with the 2 piece rear main seal... it has a one piece seal?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Starting Member

It is a 2 piece but I think it would just be much easier to take the motor out because it's a lot easier to get to all the gaskets and such instead of being stuck in the engine bay or under the truck. Atleast with it on an engine stand we can just flip the motor over for the bottom side and it takes less effort.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Starting Member

Alright some unfortunate new discoveries. Got the oil pan off and began looking things over and we came to the conclusion its time for a rebuild. From what we could see the main bearings were about done for so we decided to tear the whole engine down. After getting it totally apart we came to the conclusion that it needs new cam bearings as well as main bearings so now I am just going to do a complete rebuild on the motor. Nothing fancy just a cheap 383 stroker kit. Block will need to be sent in and tanked and bored 60 over.