Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Headlite covers clear(plastic) heavy wax build up

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member
mjsk5blazer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Headlite covers clear(plastic) heavy wax build up

Whats the best way to remove wax from Plastic Lens covers (and driving light area) it appears to have a heavy build up of wax...........
I bought a polishing kit, but these aren't yellowed......just a heavy build up............
Its the whole cover both sides..........

Again thank you for any tips or helps............ hoping i dont have to polish them back up cause its rather cold here.......

Mj
PS: i had to use my polishing kit, there was no way around it...... i did get 99% of the film off, still alittle layer, will go and buy a better kit and it should be done...............

Last edited by mjsk5blazer; 01-01-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yeah unfortunately but depending on what year it may be easy to remove the lights & do that in the comfort of your home.
Did you look in www.blazerforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23 ? There's a lot of info there.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Beginning Member
rmart617 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I would try taking off the lights and taking them in a garage or house to stay out of the cold. I know those cleaning packages are good for yellowing but not sure for wax build up. Wax is usually liquid repellant so I would recommend getting goo gone. Its cheap and you can find it in many craft stores. It removes basically everything. Try using that on it, its worth a shot considering its only like $3 for a small bottle of it.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Beginning Member
mjsk5blazer is on a distinguished road

THANKS! i have goo gone here forgot all about it........ i did have to take one headlight cover off and bring it into the house, because the socket was broken for driving light fixed it with plastic epoxy.........
Sort warm out may try goo gone later today..........like i said the polishing kit got most of it but a final layer and it can only be seen when headlight is on......but the lights work 100 times better..........

Mj

Originally Posted by rmart617
Yeah, I would try taking off the lights and taking them in a garage or house to stay out of the cold. I know those cleaning packages are good for yellowing but not sure for wax build up. Wax is usually liquid repellant so I would recommend getting goo gone. Its cheap and you can find it in many craft stores. It removes basically everything. Try using that on it, its worth a shot considering its only like $3 for a small bottle of it.