Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

1996-04 Vortec 4.3 5.0 5.7L ported blade kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1996-04 Vortec 4.3 5.0 5.7L ported blade kit

Hello. Check this out. It's a high flow throttle blade kit. Does anyone have this installed on their engine? There's also this auction for a already modded throttle body....

Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 AM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1996-04 Vortec 4.3 5.0 5.7L ported blade kit

I have heard many discussions about this, from what I have heard this is a nice little thing to have but useless unless you have a modified or larger engine such as the 4.3’s big brother (350). Then there are people who said they have made their own version of this since it wasn’t worth the money and have seen great results from it. So I have yet to hear something bad about it. Wait until you get a few more people to reply to this to see what they think.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have modified mine over a year ago. I'm more worried now about the uneven burn I'm seeing on my plugs. My front cylinders look to be rich (dark plug) while my rear cylinders look lean.

Other than throttle tip in (increased throttle response for light throttle angles), I don't feel that this modification did a thing. I just cut off the deflector with my dremel. Took me more time to clean my TB while it was off than to remove it, cut the deflector, and reinstall it.

I'll be going back to stock and looking for the 3/8" tall deflector found on the 5.7L throttle bodies. The primary function of the deflector is to promote the even distribution of the EGR gasses in the intake manifold. Without the deflector, a much higher concentration of EGR gasses will flow into the front cylinders causing incomplete combustion.

But hey... What do I know.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Jackal is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I have modified mine over a year ago. I'm more worried now about the uneven burn I'm seeing on my plugs. My front cylinders look to be rich (dark plug) while my rear cylinders look lean.

Other than throttle tip in (increased throttle response for light throttle angles), I don't feel that this modification did a thing. I just cut off the deflector with my dremel. Took me more time to clean my TB while it was off than to remove it, cut the deflector, and reinstall it.

I'll be going back to stock and looking for the 3/8" tall deflector found on the 5.7L throttle bodies. The primary function of the deflector is to promote the even distribution of the EGR gasses in the intake manifold. Without the deflector, a much higher concentration of EGR gasses will flow into the front cylinders causing incomplete combustion.

But hey... What do I know.
Ever thought of running an EGR block plate, that may help your burn in the front cylinders. I did that mod about two yrs ago, my plugs looked like the were burning awsome! I am running bosch platnums, which i know alot of people don't like but considering my results im happy.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The EGR reduces cylinder temp and over time will result in burnt exhaust valves. I could put in a restrictor and not have to program out the EGR codes (which would be a requirement of a blockoff plate), but even at that it'll still be the same uneven distribution, just not to the same extent.

Good for you though...

Old 02-15-2007, 11:36 PM

Why would it burn out the exhaust valves? That ones above me. Iwas planning ondoing it when i rebuild my engine.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Here's a quote for ya. It explains it fairly well.
How EGR systems work The EGR valve recirculates exhaust into the intake stream. Exhaust gases have already combusted, so they do not burn again when they are recirculated. These gases displace some of the normal intake charge. This chemically slows and cools the combustion process by several hundred degrees, thus reducing NOx formation.

The design challenge The EGR system of today must precisely control the flow of recirculated exhaust. Too much flow will retard engine performance and cause a hesitation on acceleration. Too little flow will increase NOx and cause engine ping. A well-designed system will actually increase engine performance and economy. Why? As the combustion chamber temperature is reduced, engine detonation potential is also reduced. This factor enabled the software engineers to write a more aggressive timing advance curve into the spark timing program. If the EGR valve is not flowing, onboard diagnostics (OBD) systems will set a code and the power control module (PCM) will use a backup timing curve that has less advance to prevent engine ping. Less timing advance means less performance and economy. Do your customer a favor and fix those EGR codes that you may have previously deemed as unimportant.

That 'several hundred degrees' is enough over time to burn the exhaust valves. It'll probably be a long time for a DD, but if the engine will spend quite a bit of time under power, then it'll happen much more quickly. This has been seen many times in the 3800 community. For me, I'd rather not take that chance.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 PM

I see.. Theres more to it than that though. Like you could find ways to keep your codes from getting thrown, and cool exhaust temps...exhaust temps rely heavily on what air fuel mixture your running. but that im sure goes way behond this thread.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Administrator

What more do you think there is? Sure, you could richen up your mixture, but try to get too much hp and you'll quickly go static on the stock injectors. But then you'd loose any sense of decent fuel mileage. For the purposes of a DD, you'd have to reach a happy medium, but you'll get the best performance on a stock engine with a working EGR system.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

What more do you think there is? Sure, you could richen up your mixture, but try to get too much hp and you'll quickly go static on the stock injectors. But then you'd loose any sense of decent fuel mileage. For the purposes of a DD, you'd have to reach a happy medium, but you'll get the best performance on a stock engine with a working EGR system.
True and i deffinatly don't want something to hog my fuel econemy. Its about 16 mpg on the highway. However, it doesn't make a big diffence with me as apose to you because i only work 5 miles from work, so it affects me less each day.