Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.3 to replace 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:11 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.3 to replace 2.8

Have other tranny also. Main question I seem to have bugging me is the motor mount thing. Dont understand the prices for Strange motor mounts to use the 4.3. I mean, is it not possible to purchase the mounts that would be in the models with the 4.3 and install them in the older blazer (86). Should I not simply be looking to drill or weld in the chassis half in the correct place and then simply drop the 4.3 into place? Is anyone going to tell me the frames are so different that this cannot be done? I am a newby at this one specific conversion. Have never installed a 90 degree motor in a blazer, yet??

Old 12-30-2005, 12:16 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4.3 to replace 2.8

Welcome to the site.
I wondered the same thing until I got the JTR conversion manual?

The JTR conversion manual shows you how to make your own adapter plate to bolt in a V8 or 4.3L V6 to the 2.8L engine mount. See image below. The plate is adjustable to get the right fit. I think the main thing is the offset needed to go from the mounting location on the frame rail to the block. Basically your replacing the mounting plate that bolts between the block and stock 2.8L mounting location. Your not really changing the motor mount, just the plate attached between the block and mount. The JTR manual also lists places to buy the kit for you to weld together, or buy it welded. Plus the book covers the whole swap from start to finish. Also adresses things like suspension, steering, header/exhaust manifolds, firewall clearanceing, tranny clearnacing, radiators, a/c-heater box modifications, oil pan, recommended engines, fuel injections systems, etc. They try to use factory parts where available. This saves on cost and parts availability. Well worth the money to get the book.

I don't think there are any frame changes over the 20 some odd years the S10-Blazer was in production. Is it worth the headache to cut off and weld on a new engine mount, or would it be easier to get/make the adapter plate. JTR sells it for #45-$55.

Pic of the mounting plate needed for the conversion.

Link to there web-site.
JTR Site

I have a '87 S10-Blazer with the 2putt8 and have been bouncing back and forth on the 4.3L V6 or V8 engine swap. Not sure which way I want to go yet. What are your plans?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey; great info there. JTR seems to be a "normal" company, not out to rip us off for parts that we might just as well weld up ourselves. I can handle the prices I see on that site. Even radiators seem normal.

Appreciate this info greatly. Am retired -disabled and work slow. But dont feel like making wrong turns. Have a 92 regular 4.3 available and will go with new cam, lifters, carb intake and holley 390. Nothing too hot and will check over this engine carefully internally as well as getting a valve job with some better springs. Will need NORMAL ignition not run by computer and this is my next search. Seems as though sbc v8's have every manufacturer supplying parts for it, but 4.3 is not amoung the popular. Havent looked that hard yet either. Had to get it INTO the engine compartment first, at least in my mind?? Am finishing a camaro product, need to paint that one.
Have to admit that I will use a th350, simply cause I have a very heavily built one real handy and laying in the shed. This was from one ton (350v4) van that I used to tow with before I became disabled. Too good to give away and I dont wish to spend huge amounts for that 700R4, no matter what the gas savings are. Rear mount for this will become an issue because its not a long tail, its a short. But I've done that one on other vehicles before.

Will order mounts and book for JTR, knew about them, but way back from when they actually only worked on Jags, had not looked in that direction. Might serve them to place some guide points on the web under the other conversions they now do.

Would love to raise the front a little, need to get a little larger tire on it. Although it is shorty 2 door/ 2 wheel drive. Back is fine. My oldest son had lowerred this one a little (put axle on top?) and ended up with broken rear springs, so I have already rebuilt the whole back, it sits a little high. Perhaps I need to replace front springs. He does not admit to having lowerred the front. BUT...... This would be easier with engine OUT. So its worth thinking about....

I go by what I have available cause i am not rich enough to do as I wish. But even if I had the money, I would not put a v8 into this model. I fully believe the darn things are too short/narrow and boxy to add the extra weight beyond the big 6. The 4.3 can be built fairly easily into a good solid motor and lots of fun while still being able to use it for an everyday ride.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:12 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post as well. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you and seem to have a decent plan.

Keep us posted on your progress.