Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:36 PM
quontush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default trans cooler

Im thinking about getting a transmission cooler, anyone know were i could get one that is for a blazer?

Old 01-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: trans cooler

You aren't going to find one that will be a direct fit. What you'll find are the universal fits. The size of the cooler will depend on your intentions with the vehicle. For heavy towing, a larger cooler would be better. You can go too large if the cooler does not have it's own way of metering the flow through it's body.

I am partial to the stacked plate coolers and B&M makes a very nice one:
B&M SuperCooler 7-1/2"x11" - SummitRacing.com

This is practically identical to the one that I have installed in my Bravada. I purchased one from Advanced Auto under the Imperial (Hayden) brand name, but had to purchase additional fittings so as to not cut the transmission lines. If you don't car about the tranny lines, then the kits from Autozone or Advanced will work nicely and can be purchased for slightly less than the B&M cooler.

Good Luck!

Oh, fyi, you need to tie the cooler into the upper line off on the passenger side of the radiator.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:38 PM
quontush is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help

Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem man! I'd also like to note that for every 10*F drop in transmission temperature, you extend its life in high heat applications - (ie. towing, stop-n-go, hills) by 50%. The transmission oil cooler in the radiator can only cool down to around the temp of the coolant in the engine (195*F with a stock t-stat).

Here's a chart, kind of hard to objectively draw conclusions due to its non-uniform scale on the life (miles) axis, but it still gives you a good idea of what not to do to a tranny:

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/6216521F53914D65A644AC584635DC06.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2006, 10:43 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it might be better putting the trans cooler connected to the bootom fitting on the radiator as it say so on the B&M directions. I would go with the B&M buddy very nice and has everything to install and no cutting.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Administrator

The B&M, with its temperature dependant flow paths would work equally as well in both places. Go for the bottom one if you think you need to, but it's a PITA. The upper one will do MORE cooling than what you'll ever need unless you are doing A LOT of heavy towing...