Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.3 swap/turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010 | 09:33 PM
|
Beginning Member
BIGDAVEEVADGIB is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3 swap/turbo

i have a 1992 gmc jimmy with the TBI 4.3 and i wanna swap it out for the 4.3 vortc how hard would this be i have the motor but i was woundering if i needed to change anything else like the computer or the fuel pump? after i get that done i am thinking of putting a tubo on would this be of any benifit or a bad idea? thanks

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:14 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

It would be way more trouble and even more expensive then just dropping a 350 in it. You would need the whole harness, computer, fuel pump, and i have no idea how you would get you gauges to work, propbly have to use the ones out of the newer truck. Your trans is odb1 and the motor is odb2. But anything is possible.

Speed cost money, How fast you wanna go?

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:30 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

In theory said swap would be fairly simple. However, as jacobcbc said, you'd need all of that stuff and probably unexpected stuff as you go along. As a vehicle gets older more things pop up on projects where you ask "what the hell?"

And adding a turbo is always beneficial. Only way that adding one is a bad idea is if the engine is borderline shot/on its last legs, or if its not installed properly. Pretty much any car can take boost, but you got to know what amount to use.

If you want simplicity and a lower hit on your wallet just swap in a 350. Or hell, go all out and try to swap in like an old 427 or 454. Granted that'd be a little more expensive probably, but how many of those do you see in a Blazer?

Old 01-03-2010 | 07:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just an FYI, your engine is a vortec engine. It utilizes the vortec cylinder head design that is quite similar to the CPI engines it just doesn't have the problematic fuel system.

I see very little benefit to swapping to the CPI engine. The computer control systems will be slightly different as will the wiring harness, etc.

I would rather suggest that you cam the TBI motor you have and then tune the crap out of it. Thirdgen.org has some good articles and links to sites with information on tuning the older ECU's for not a lot of investment. Tune it yourself for the benefit of making whatever changes you see fit.

Old 01-03-2010 | 02:23 PM
|
Beginning Member
BIGDAVEEVADGIB is on a distinguished road

i was woundering if i could turbo the TBI motor? do you guys know if the TBI would take to boost?

Old 01-03-2010 | 07:16 PM
Beginning Member
lt170chevelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything will take to boost and as said before your motor is the same minus the crappy cpi fuel sytem on the newer ones.
You would need a tune for the turbo app..mainly spark retarded under boost and fueling changed a little and you could also do an fmu to make up for small injectors.
Not for sure but you might be able to put some of the 454 tbi injectors in your unit for turbo app. not sure on that tho..just throwing that out there. Good luck