Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

fuel gauge malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Beginning Member
sharrard. is on a distinguished road
Default fuel gauge malfunction

my fuel gauge is stuck at half and never moves i have replaced my fuel pump twice so its not that

Old 04-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an old reply to someone else who was in your situation:
Originally Posted by swartlkk
The resistance values are based on fuel level. What does the gauge read?

If you were to disconnect the sender lead at the tank and ground it, with the ignition switch in the on position, the gauge should read empty. If it is already reading empty, then the sending unit wire may be pinched to ground somewhere along the way (most likely at the tank somewhere). If it is not reading empty now and it does when you connect the sender lead to ground, then the sending unit in the tank is at fault. If the gauge is stuck on full or beyond, even with the sender lead grounded, then there is either a open circuit between the sender and the gauge, or the gauge is bad.

If the gauge is stuck on empty even when the tank is full, but rises to full when the sender lead is disconnected with the ignition switch on, then the fuel tank sending unit is bad. If it remains on empty even after you disconnect it, then there is a short in the line that needs to be repaired.

The fuel level sender lead should be purple at both the back of the gauge cluster and at the fuel tank.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah i second the wire idea. if a ground wire breaks ive always seen the fuel gauge go way past full. bought a k5 before that for some reason someone cut the wire going to the fuel gauge and thats what happened it just stuck where it was at

Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Starting Member
Cidium is on a distinguished road

I was just looking at my fuel gauge sending unit a couple of days ago and it's part of the pump assembly. The unit is spot welded to the assembly and it looks like to replace that part you have to swap out the whole assembly. It's a little late to check the ohms on the sending unit to see if there is a open on the windings but that's what I would do if the pump assembly was out of the tank.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Starting Member
blu88 is on a distinguished road

what if it works then stops at 1/4 tank and goes no further