Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Fuel Pressure and relief

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pressure and relief

I want to change the fuel filter and am not sure exactly where the schrader vavle is to do this. Also, I see in the books that there is something called the "Fuel Pressure Connection Valve" and another called the "fuel pressure connection" I believe. Are they one in the same? Here is a paste from the SI:
Connect the J 34730-1A fuel pressure gauge to the fuel pressure connection. It shows the Fuel Pressure Gauge that has the Schrader connection and the bleed off.
Can someone tell me exactly where the connection for the relief gauge should be in relation to something else on the engine that is easy to identify?
I still need to find this so that I can get the fitting that I need to complete making the relief valve setup to relieve the pressure to R&R the filter.

Thanks...

Old 03-09-2006, 03:22 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Fuel Pressure and relief

I took the gas cap off and removed the fuel filter and quickly installed the new one. Insert the gas cap on and turned the key over to "Accessory like 8 times. Probably the wrong way but it worked for me. Minimal fuel was wasted.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the tank gas cap really has nothing to do with relieving the pressure in the line. If you have a tight fuel system (aka no leakdown), you'll have ~50psi of pressure in the lines.

There are two things you can do.

1) pull the fuel pump relay and start the vehicle (it may not start) - reinstall the fuel pump relay once you are done with the filter change and cycle the key 8-10 times to the RUN position (not start).

2) Push in the fuel pressure test port valve to relieve the pressure. The test port is on the main feed line (gold/yellow colored, larger line that goes to the center of the upper intake manifold. The fuel lines come up the drivers side of the motor to the inside of the valve cover. Look just past the valve cover to the back of the engine and you should see it.

Be aware that you may need some screwy sizes of wrench when removing the fuel filter. I remember having to have 1 metric and 1 standard wrench to remove mine.

Another thing to do a few days before attempting to pull it is to spray some penetrating oil on the connections to make sure that you don't round over the nut.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

I took the gas cap off and removed the fuel filter and quickly installed the new one. Insert the gas cap on and turned the key over to "Accessory like 8 times. Probably the wrong way but it worked for me. Minimal fuel was wasted.

I did the same as you, except I didn't even take of teh gas cap.
I'll stop leaking when it runs out of pressure.

Nah, I just pushed int eh scrader vavle with a tiny screwdriver to relieve pressure.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Hanr3
I did the same as you, except I didn't even take of teh gas cap.
It'll stop spraying all over the place when it runs out of pressure.

Nah, I just pushed int eh scrader vavle with a tiny screwdriver to relieve pressure.
There, fixed it for you!