Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Fuel pump possibly out....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 AM
Beginning Member
tesshin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump possibly out....?

I was driving and all of a sudden im pushing the gas and the RPM started going down and it didn't want to move. Now everytime i start the car it turns over but just shuts off after a few seconds. I use to be able to hear the fuel pump loud and clear but i can bearly hear it now. If it does start and I gas it itll stay on for like 10 seconds then shut off even though i'm floring it. I have no idea if this is relevant but for the past week the rpm tach has been spiking, it'll idle at 700 then it'll jump past 1k for a sec then come back down. it does it throught the whole rpm range.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:30 AM
Beginning Member
Default RE: Fuel pump possibly out....?

oh I forgot to mention It's a 95 S10

Old 06-28-2006, 05:17 AM
4x4blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

ya most likely i had the same exact thing happen with my 2001 blazer... the pump is pretty damn expensive... just be prepared

Old 06-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll want to check any fuses and relays. IIRC, the fuel pump relay is behind the glovebox...

Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

You'll want to check any fuses and relays. IIRC, the fuel pump relay is behind the glovebox...
i doubt that would be it, otherwise the truck wouldnt start at all. sounds like the fuel pump has all but died, just pumping enough to pressurize the fuel lines when the truck is not running - but not pumping enough to keep it running.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, before replacing a pump, the relays/fuses are the first things to check. Next is to replace the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure at the engine. If you aren't getting the required pressure, THEN you check the connections for the pump. It could be something as simple as a corroded electrical connection not supplying full power to the pump or a clogged fuel filter. After that, it's time to drop the tank and replace the pump.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

thanks alot all this is a big help, omw to the car to check that stuff out and I checked prices for the pump its only $91 with a lifetime warranty.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Beginning Member

funny thing, the blaz started up and would stay on.... i dont know for how long cause i only left it on for about 3 min. I hear the relays clicking and the fuses are all goo so Im off to buy the pump and chech the connections.