Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

removing the AC unit..good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Beginning Member
justin4x4jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default removing the AC unit..good idea?

i live in minnesota and never ever use the AC so would it be worth it to remove it? i plan on keepping my jimmy for awhile so re-sale value doesnt matter to me at this point. will i gain any HP by putting a dumby pulley in its place? are the vacuum lines easy to remove? how long would it take to finish the job?

anybodies 2 cents would be helpful and welcomed! thanks guys

Old 04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are not going to gain HP. There is a bearing in the snout of the compressor that the pulley rides on so it is effectively a dummy pulley when the clutch is not engaged.

IMO, it is best to just leave the stuff there. If you do decide to disconnect and remove the system, have it properly evacuated first so that the refrigerant can be recovered.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if you decide to remove the compressor let me know, I have a bypass pulley that bolts up in the compressors place. I bought it in Feb and just recently took it off. I put my ac back on and no longer need it.