Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

What brand tranny cooler to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 PM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What brand tranny cooler to buy??

Hi All!

Just had a birthday....and Sis sent me a gift certificate to Amazon.com.

Thought maybe I'd try to pick up a tranny cooler for my '95 Blazer 4x4, to enable me totow our 14' boat...or maybe a small 16' travel trailersafely.

Any suggestions on a brand I might look for on Amazon?

Any idea how tough they might be to install myself?

Thanks a bunch!

Summer's coming!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: What brand tranny cooler to buy??

Your truck should be able to handle a small boat or trailer without a tranny cooler. I know guys will install those on big one ton diesel rigs towing 38 foot fifth wheel trailers, but you should be fine with what you want to do. Your money would probably be better spent making sure that your tranny fluid and filter are good and clean.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What brand tranny cooler to buy??

For the $30-50 investment, a trans cooler is a very good thing to have. Any way you can reduce the heat in the transmission, the longer the fluid will last. I recommend the stacked plate type cooler.

If you live in a cold climate, then you may have to cover the cooler during the winter to help keep the transmission temps from going too low, lowering efficiency. I have always plumbed my cooler in after the radiator, before the transmission. This will allow the radiator to take out as much heat as possible before the aux cooler. It will also aid in the warm up of the transmission during operation if you cover the cooler during the winter months.