Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Whats everyones running temp or the coolant/engine in the 4.3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010 | 08:30 AM
Beginning Member
bigjoewebb is an unknown quantity at this point

what type of codes would the computer throw? is 3rd gear limp mode possible?

Old 01-22-2010 | 12:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigjoewebb
what type of codes would the computer throw?
For what type of failure? Thermostat codes? If so, it would likely throw a P0128 code (coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature).

Originally Posted by bigjoewebb
is 3rd gear limp mode possible?
Kind of off topic.

Old 01-22-2010 | 11:14 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Put in a 180 t-stat. Holding solid at that.

Old 02-28-2010 | 10:35 PM
cooper232 is on a distinguished road

just bought my blazer and dont know what kind of coolant or thermostat is in it but it runs right below the 1/4 mark and sometimes hits 1/4. i am familiar with the open loop thing because my other vehicle is a srt4 and we run 160 therm. in them to purposely make the car run rich so that we can turn the boost up a little.

well obviously my blazer isnt boosted and i want to get as many mpg's as i can. some of you guys that run around 195-200.... what kind of coolant and what temp thermostat are you running?

Old 02-28-2010 | 10:41 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

190-200 degrees is the usual for me.

Old 02-28-2010 | 11:31 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

My usual is between 200-210 on all stock

Old 05-04-2010 | 11:28 AM

Well, I dont want to make a new thread and figure if anyone else hast his problem and looks in here perhaps it could help. I replaced my 180 with a factory rated one as per what the Hypertech programmer told me to do. Now that its summer and it hit 95* yesterday, I'm running with my regular (not max) ac on the 2nd fan speed. My temp gauge is at about 235, or the hash mark between 210 and 260. Should I just do a coolant flush or is it possible I just bought a fluke weak t-stat?

Old 05-04-2010 | 12:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Were you cruising down the road when the temp got that high? 235 isn't over heating, but it is elevated higher than it normally should be.

Did you try turning off the A/C to see if that allowed it to cool down a bit?

Old 05-04-2010 | 01:41 PM

Yeah I was driving around town when it was 235. I turned off the ac and put the heat on full blast and it dropped it down to under 210.

Old 05-04-2010 | 02:25 PM
Administrator

If it came down relatively quickly, you may have just hit the thermal limit of your cooling system. You could try cleaning the exterior of the radiator and A/C condenser to improve air flow through them.

Quick Reply: Whats everyones running temp or the coolant/engine in the 4.3?