Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 chevrolet Blazer 4X4 4.3 to 4.8L engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 AM
randy028 is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 chevrolet Blazer 4X4 4.3 to 4.8L engine swap

Hello, I have a chance to buy a 1998 4X4 Blazer with a blown 4.3. I already have a wrecked 1999 Siveraldo 2 wheel drive with a 4.8 engine that runs good. Both have a 4L60E Tranny. Will the 4.8 bolt up to the blazer's transmission? Or do I need to let this one buy pass? Thanks Randy028

Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to go through heck to get the Gen3 engine into your truck. They recently installed a 5.3L v8 into a Blazer on one of Spike's Powerblock shows and even those guys said they would never attempt it again. They had to custom modify the oil pan, the heater box, and the motor mounts to get it to fit properly.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will let this one walk by. look for another blazer.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Don't go by the spike swap alone. They didn't inform scott (the expert they called in) of all the details. They just sent him a far off shot of the truck and asked if he would help. They then ordered parts for a 2wd and not a 4x4 like they needed. Then they cut corners left and right. Scott has complained on more than one forum how they hacked that thing together. The reason they haven't done a follow up on it cause theey had to pull it and redo it. The oil pan leaked cause they welded it and didn't clean it right (even after they showed scott on tv disapproving it) and the tuner they used against scotts wishes messed the ecm all up. The heater box and mounts had to be modded cause they ordered the wrong part and due to scott taking off from work and production timing didn't have time to reoder the correct parts.

Granted its not as easy as the old sbc to put in but nothing like the joke they made it. Go at it with research, correct info, and correct parts it can and has been done cleanly. A 98 will be an easier swap than when I put the ls1 in my 87.

Last edited by neo71665; 12-23-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by neo71665
Don't go by the spike swap alone. They didn't inform scott (the expert they called in) of all the details. They just sent him a far off shot of the truck and asked if he would help. They then ordered parts for a 2wd and not a 4x4 like they needed. Then they cut corners left and right. Scott has complained on more than one forum how they hacked that thing together. The reason they haven't done a follow up on it cause theey had to pull it and redo it. The oil pan leaked cause they welded it and didn't clean it right (even after they showed scott on tv disapproving it) and the tuner they used against scotts wishes messed the ecm all up. The heater box and mounts had to be modded cause they ordered the wrong part and due to scott taking off from work and production timing didn't have time to reoder the correct parts.

Granted its not as easy as the old sbc to put in but nothing like the joke they made it. Go at it with research, correct info, and correct parts it can and has been done cleanly. A 98 will be an easier swap than when I put the ls1 in my 87.
That show is a JOKE! There was a lot of discussion on tccoa about an MN12 TBIRD project they started and which also died with a whimper.
If you notice, all the mods involve their sponsors and their sponsors see the goober crackers as the target market.
So on that Tbird they spent a lot of cash, building a whole new powertrain and got a car that probably couldnt break into the twelves.
IIRC, they actually took out the IRS and put in a live axle... for no freaking reason. Since IRS Mk's run 10's just fine with upgrades to the stock irs.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:52 AM

Thanks guys. Keep posting if anyone out there has any info.