Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help no park!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about
Default Help no park!!!

So here's what is going on... I stopped at Walmart and went to open the hatch and it wouldn't open. I chalked it up to a bad switch which is common with these and went on and did my shopping. Well then we come out if the store and the truck won't start! the symptoms are turn the key radio, drls, and info center go blank but all other dash lights stay on and no click of the starter no CEL either. So I figure maybe the battery is going dead and get a guy to jump me. Still no start and same symptoms. Lucky for me the dude is a mechanic and says put it in neutral and try again. I did and it started right up! I get home and I noticed that when I put it in park the indicator light on the dash isn't lighting up and there isn't any resistance to pull it out of park and then realized I was rolling and the truck isn't really in park. I can turn the truck off and pull the key but I can't start it. If I put it in neutral it starts right up and the hatch will open too. Has anyone seen this before? TCM possibly or bad shifter linkage not moving the Trans shifter far enough? Help me please I'm lost!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i know when i did my trans swap for my 99 there is an electronic part on the side of the trans that the cable/linkage connects to the senses what gear your in.
that maybe has gone bad...but i would think you could still physically put it in park and have it not register.

have you tried going under neath when someone you trust can keep their foot on the brake and watch it shift...or maybe shift it by hand while your down there?

my brother had a neutral safety switch go in his cherokee...could only start it neutral but it still went into park.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I ran out of daylight today but I will get under there tomorrow and check it out. I just talked to a buddy and he said neutral safety switch.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:25 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

+1 on the nuetral safety switch. The same thing literally just happened to my buddys 97 a week ago.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome thanks for the input guys! I'm going to pick up the neutral saftey switch now. I got Advanced to price match Rock Auto for half the price $35 as apposed to $65. If I didn't need it so bad I would have just ordered it from Rock Auto to give them the business but I gotta have it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: So I got under the truck and I found that the shifter is not moving the trans into park. I can pop it into park by hand under the truck and everything is peachy! As soon as I take it out of park though it will not go back in until I manualy do it underneath. I tried to adjust the cable out further with no luck. I'm thinking it has to be my shifter cable so I'm going to return the NSS and get a shift cable. Only problem with that is that I have to order it. Owell I guess I'll just have to wait for it to get here. Here's a diagram I found and figured I would post to help out anyone else who may have to replace there shift cable in the future.

I'll let everyone know my results when the cable gets here.

Last edited by rexmburns; 07-03-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Got the cable replaced finally today and all is well!! Heres a write up I did on it.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:13 AM
sunshine666466 is on a distinguished road

This sounds similar to the problem I am having. Can anyone tell me what number 3 is called in the diagram above? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:32 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

I belive it's the neutral safety switch

Old 05-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Starting Member
inman920 is on a distinguished road

I just had the same problem it was a few things the safety switch was broken looks like some one had glued it together and the cable was dry rotted I have it going and shifting but still seems to be a few problems with the electrical side of things my p and n light not working and the rear hatch won't open I'm assuming I need new connectors for the switch seeing that they had glue all over them I cleaned them up but the clips are gone so off to the junk yard I go

Old 09-08-2021, 02:12 PM
Starting Member
Croguy75 is on a distinguished road

Hi, does anyone know what #13 is called? Im missing that part.. Thanks

Never mind - I finally found the part - Incase anyone in the future needs the same part here it is -
Its called -

SHIELD. Transmission Shift Control Cable

The Part # is 15015513

Last edited by Croguy75; 09-08-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Found what I was looking for