Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2003 Blazer Does Not Start After Sitting in Hot Weather

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member
JamesCrimson is on a distinguished road

Okay, so I did the 10 minute thing three times in a row like you said, and the security light went off. The thing started up.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member
gman4q2 is on a distinguished road

OK. Do you have a remote start. If so, you are probably having the same issue I had, the security signal from the ignition, is starting to conflict with the bypass in the remote start . But first lets see how long your re-set lasts, days, weeks, months. Sometimes it will last months, sometimes weeks, sometimes days, and sometimes you only need to do the 10 minute re-set and it will work. Unfortunately its different every time. Keep us informed.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Beginning Member

No it doesn’t have remote start. Now, the first time this happened to me (don’t know if it was the first time ever with the vehicle because I’ve only owned it for like 4 months) was right after we had the radiator and the fan replaced. Went to pick it up, and it wouldn’t start. The next day, it started up, and it didn’t act up again for like 2 months.

I think we’re still gonna take it to the dealership and see what they can do with the passlock. I’d rather bypass the whole thing and never have to worry about it again.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member

There are many videos on YuTube on how to bypass the GM passlock and passlock2. The hardest part is getting the cowling around the steering column off. If you have any mechanical aptitude whatsoever, you should be able to do it yourself. Just search for the videos. From my vast research on the subject the problem stems around the cheap tin contacts in the ignition switch oxidizing and losing the signal from the security part of the ignition switch. That said, changing the switch will fix it, until those contacts start oxidizing and losing contact then you are back to where you are. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to change it out, your better off trying the bypass and going from there. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:20 AM
Beginning Member

Well, I went to start the thing up for work and the security light was blinking. This time in the morning. You weren’t kidding about it coming up and biting me again randomly.

This is one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever dealt with in my life. And no I do not trust myself enough mechanically to fix anything. I’ll just let the dealership do that

Old 06-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah it can be frustrating. Just an FYI, as far as I know the dealer will not put a bypass in, they will only put a new switch in. I would get a quote to do the work and then, just possibly, get a quote to have a remote start put in, and there is your bypass. then all you would have to do is cut the yellow wire and tape off the ends. There are a lot of places that can put in a remote start, just explain your situation. It will probably be cheaper than the dealer putting in a new ignition switch, and you'll have a new feature. OR if you find someone on this forum that lives near you, maybe they would install the bypass for a 12 pack or something. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:39 PM
Robinson Mason is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gman4q2
Yeah it can be frustrating. Just an FYI, as far as I know the dealer will not put a bypass in, they will only put a new switch in. I would get a quote to do the work and then, just possibly, get a quote to have a remote start put in, and there is your bypass. then all you would have to do is cut the yellow wire and tape off the ends. There are a lot of places that can put in a remote start, just explain your situation. It will probably be cheaper than the dealer putting in a new ignition switch, and you'll have a new feature. OR if you find someone on this forum that lives near you, maybe they would install the bypass for a 12 pack or something. Good luck.
This is a great idea, turn your bad situation into a positive and get remote start.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by gman4q2
Ok, thanks a lot for the advice. I’ll look into this