Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2003 blazer, no displays, radio, and car will not start now

Old 07-05-2008, 09:02 PM
sdolan93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2003 blazer, no displays, radio, and car will not start now

2003 Blazer 4x4, 55,000 miles
For the last few weeks my radio as been switching stations at will on the 2nd set of pre-sets.
Last Friday night: On my way home, I lost my odemeter and gear display as well as my day running lights and radio. I didn't think anything of it, I know very little about cars so I figured it was a fuse of some sort.
Last Sat. morning: I get up and do the normal routine, coffee and paper. Still have the same problem, but Blazer still runs. Drive 20 odd miles to an outing and on my way home on the highway and the gas starts giving out, no accl., wants to die. It dies. I pull over and can't get it started up again. 24 hr. roadside truck happens to pass by and asks what's wrong. Tell him what's up and he asks if I have gas. That's fine, plenty in the tank like normal. He tries to start it and says more than likely it's the alt., have it towed. I do so.
A mechanic friend is stumped, but he's also a Ford mechanic.
We try to have the alt. and batt. tested at the nearest auto parts shop. Tests show alt. is good, batt. has bad cells, so I have that replaced and reinstall both items. Still same problem.

We did relize that when I turn the key back, I get the radio back but no displays. When I turn the key forward for the accessories, I get my displays but the radio is out. When I try to start it, it tries to start but it's like it's not getting enough gas, like it's not giving it to the ingine.

Some people think it's a relay of some sort, some people think it might be the computer. I figured out I can bring it to Napa and have it replaced cheaper there than anywhere else, but it's still a pricy maybe, anyone have any idea's? Please?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2003 blazer, no displays, radio, and car will not start now

At any point in time during this, did you notice the security light coming on?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 AM

I did not notice the security light being on.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
bamablazer57 is an unknown quantity at this point

honestly sounds like a easy fix but replace the battery. mine locked up on my the radio would come on the gauges lit up the secuirty light was working but no crank. the voltage read fine but the older battery's had a bad charge cylinder in em.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

just a thought maybe a broken ground strap on the frame...

Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
slowjoe6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you turn the key to the run position does the Heater fan come on? I would pull the cover under your steering colum and useing a voltmeter check your ignition switch to ensure you are getting power comeing from it to the truck.

On your ignition switch you want to make sure that the pink wire, and a small white wire are both at battery voltage (11.8 - 12.4) when the key is in the run position.

since you have ruled out your alternator, and replaced your battery, this would be my next step in the process.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:44 PM

back again replaced the ignition switch car starts and runs but i have no fuel gauge temp gauge or odometer no prndl and radio only works in accessory HELP

Old 09-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Beginning Member
josh05 is an unknown quantity at this point

u might have a faulty bcm or body control module it runs ur lights dash holds mileage info and everything the pcm doesnt