Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3L Vortec Getting a Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 10:02 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Alright thanks Les, I got back out there and connected the scanner again, I was getting a reading from everything, and even saw my maf going up when I cranked the engine, but RPM's stayed steady at 0. Next was hooking up the spark plug to the coil, now I'm getting a spark but I'm no expert with this so please tell me how it looks in the video Les.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:49 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Crank sensor is definitely sending a signal. Failure to read RPM must be due to your particular scanner. I'll take a video of mine with a spark plug on coil output tomorrow for comparison. Please go ahead and video your engine trying to run.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-17-2022 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I remembered reading that it's supposed to be a nice bright blue for a healthy spark... that looked orange to me...

not sure where to go but following! This is a bummer after such hard work... but les will definitely get you back on the road!

Old 05-18-2022, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Crank sensor is definitely sending a signal. Failure to read RPM must be due to your particular scanner. I'll take a video of mine with a spark plug on coil output tomorrow for comparison. Please go ahead and video your engine trying to run.
raining steady here for next few hours, so I will have to wait a bit.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:13 PM

Thanks Les, it got dark yesterday however when I get home later I will start it up for you. I find it weird still because I know for a fact I have read RPMs off my scanner before while it was running. I'm not even sure what to think now, I will look at the tach when I start it up later and make sure it moves when it starts. Other than this I'm thinking I will need a scanner capable of reading cam retard? Or I could go slide the PS bracket forward so I can take off the valve cover and verify #1 at TDC?

Old 05-18-2022, 01:35 PM

The strategy could be to move the rotor 1 distributor tooth and see if things improve or gets worse. Depending on results then we know which way to go. I still think its rotor position and slipped balancer (but not 180 out or it wouldnt run at all)

A strategy to check for slipped balancer could be to remove the bottom pulley/bolt, line up the marks on the balancer to the timing cover, and check the position of the keyway in the crank snout. Should be at about 1:30 (see diagram). I found this position again and again for the keyway, but this diagram showed it the best.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
A break in weather so here is mine. Looks pretty much exactly like yours. Im going to say no problem with crank sensor.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:05 PM

LES, I tried to start it again. IT STARTED PERFECTLY FIRST T. WHAT?! It’s running perfect right now!!!! Ahhhhhh

Old 05-18-2022, 09:16 PM

Thats good to hear!! Guess you should have tried it twice before!!!!

So no SES light?

Got that stuff to read cam sensor retard coming? Really needs to be checked.

In the meantime revel in success!! Enjoy what you have accomplished!! Congrats!!

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-18-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:24 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Nice work, glad you got it going.

George

Quick Reply: 4.3L Vortec Getting a Rebuild