Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4wd trying to engage when not needed. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
sceb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4wd trying to engage when not needed. Help!

Okay, I love my Blazer. I dragged it from California to Chicago and now to Virginia. And thisis the first real issue I've had with it. I need to know if this happens to everyone, how bad this is, how to fix it and if it's going to cost more than it worth to fix it.

I usually drive in H2 since I rarely need to Auto 4wd or use 4wd in my daily driving. The lights have started coming on and blinking at me telling me to go into L4. One time I was idling in a parking lot with the car in park and the Low4 started blinking at me.

I checked the tranny fluid hot and it was a little low so I topped it off, but it keeps doing it.

Suggestions? Comments?[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How Bad is this? And how $$?

No real way to tell without seeing what is happening with the transfer case control module. Since you have Auto4wd, that means you have the NV236 transfer case which cannot be accessed by the more traditional DIY friendly means. You need a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool to access the TCCM.

You could try disconnecting, cleaning, then reconnecting all of the electrical connections at the switch in the dash, TCCM behind the passenger side kick panel, and at the transfer case encoder motor.

You can also test the resistances coming off of the switch when each button is depressed. The information is available in the forums already.