Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

5 Spd. 4x4 1998 Blazer...... Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member
moose09876 is on a distinguished road
Default 5 Spd. 4x4 1998 Blazer...... Maybe

I'll try to make this as short as possible. I have a 98 4X4 Blazer, and I want to convert it to a 5spd. I've been looking everywhere I can think of and googling my @$$ off to try and figure this out.

1) What transmission should I be looking at? The NV3500 mates to the 4.3L in the CK series trucks.

2) From what I read, I'm assuming that the output shaft on the NV3500 is a 27 spline, like on the 4L60E. This means I could use the existing transfer case, correct?

3) What ECU issues will I have since the electrics of the transmission will be disconnected.

As usual, thanks for the help!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

you will need the nv3500, the flywheel off the engine, the ecu from the manual engine and of course the pedal, mounting bracket, clutch reservoir and all the lines.

best bet is to find a donor vehicle like maybe a 4x4 4.3 s10 pickup or blazer that has the manual trannie but is either totaled or has a blown engine

Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member
Default Yes, but

One question on your first statement. Why would I need the ECU? Would it just throw a SES light, or would it not run without the other ECU? I would assume that it would run just like if you unplugged everything from the transmission, and unbolted the TC. Could I do that and see what happens?

I've never seen an S series truck with a manual, 4x4, and a 4.3L, let alone a wrecked one. That also brings up the ECU problem. If I found one with a blown engine, I'd swap the one I just rebuilt in there, and part out the POS i'm driving now. LOL!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

the engine ecu will be looking for rpm and shift info from the transmission and it will throw a ses light and possibly put in into limp mode killing your power and mpg.

4x4 5 speed is a bit more common in the pickups than blazers they are out there you just need to look harder

Old 02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could have a PCM tuned from PCMforLess or Wait4Me and, in the process, have them remove the automatic transmission code, replacing it with the manual transmission code (if anything).

Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member
Default Thanks guys

I had a prolonged brain fart. I keep thinking that I need to look in the 2nd Gen. trucks, but there's no reason a 1st. gen would make a difference in the mechanicals, right?

Will I need a new starter, or will the flywheel have the same size / tooth pattern?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

moose, have you been reading my posts?

i stated this exact thing (in the same truck no less), a couple of months ago. ever since i found one of my old 5 spds from my '92, i've been dying to yank out the slush box that's in there now.

don't know if i should be telling you this info......................ah, what the hell. you need to find a 2nd gen p/u (easier than finding a Blazer) that has stick (4 cyl or 6, 2 or 4 WD, doesn't matter), because the firewall isdifferent between the gen's. also, you need to take everything out from under the dash-including all the switches and wiring for the brake light/cruise. if you're lucky enough to have a console mounted shifter, this will give you an ever more realistic "factory" look when finished.

while i stated 2WD or 4WD doesn't matter (to me anyways), is i plan on buying new master & slave cylinders for the clutch system.

also, please don't forget to put a pilot bushing in the back of the crank when doing this swap, it's the easiest way to destroy a manual trans, and these thing are hard enough to find as it is-and you sure as hell don't want to have to hit the dealer for a replacement one. my first "replacement" was $2800-and that was getting it through a good friend that works @ GM, simply because i couldn't find one for almost 4 months.

Originally Posted by moose09876
I've never seen an S series truck with a manual, 4x4, and a 4.3L, let alone a wrecked one.

look @ my sig brother. i've owned 3 that were stick-two were 4WD/4.3 powered

**edit** sorry, just noticed your last question. there is no difference between the starters.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 02-09-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM
nimblestix is on a distinguished road

hey, drive to vancouver bc canada, and i'll trade you my 5spd tranny and all needed accessory's from my 05 jimmy.... I Want an auto! (but only an auto with a console shifter, not a column shifter...)

P.S you should feel privileged, this is my very first post on this forum. IM NEW!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member

Yup. Mine's a column shifter. Sorry. That would have rocked.