Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 S-10 Blazer Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 PM
spgeid is on a distinguished road
Default 97 S-10 Blazer Fuel Problem

Need help or suggestions.

97 blazer was running rough last fall.

Left it sit all summer. Now won't start. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. New fuel filter. Fuel pump runs. I can hear it. Checked the IAC it has the right voltage and resistance.

When I push in the pressure gauge connection at the fuel rail I get a good squirt of gas each time.

If I place a little bit of gas in the throttle body the car runs for a few seconds.

I checked the pink leads at the fuel injector connection and have a steady light on each with key on. I checked the ohm resistance across the injectors and all have about the same 11-12 ohms.

Any suggestions why it is not delivering fuel to the cylinders?

Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to test the fuel pressure.
Originally Posted by spgeid
...When I push in the pressure gauge connection at the fuel rail I get a good squirt of gas each time...
That won't tell you anything. Get a fuel pressure gauge and follow the steps in this article.
96+ Fuel Pressure Diagnostics

Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Default More information on fuel problem

I ran a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail. The engine won't run so with key on and engine not started I get 38-40 psi. Anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking fuel pump or pigtail connection at the fuel pump corroded.

If it is a fuel pump anyone have suggestions to the best brand or place to buy one. I know they are pricey.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

AC Delco on the pump.

Sure sounds like you have a pump problem, but to make sure, what was the fuel pressure X minutes after the pump shut off (where X is 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes)?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

I ran a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail. The engine won't run so with key on and engine not started I get 38-40 psi. Anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking fuel pump or pigtail connection at the fuel pump corroded.

If it is a fuel pump anyone have suggestions to the best brand or place to buy one. I know they are pricey.
Hey - one thing I learned when my fuel pump died is that the pressure rating for 95-97s is different from that of the 98+ trucks. 38-40 psi is definitely way too low to start the engine. Mine was at 49 and wouldn't start. You need at least 55-61 psi, so it is very likely your fuel pump is done. This will require dropping the gas tank.

P.S. And ditto to what Kyle said about AC Delco. Anything less, and you may be doing it again way too soon. I hope to never have to do this one again.

Last edited by Psychropod; 12-03-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added the P.S.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Default Fuel Pump Replacement

Thanks all for the info. This is my second round with a fuel pump. About 2 years ago I put a Airtex in. My mistake. Tried to pick up a ac delco but no one had one in stock. So NAPA sells a carter fuel pump. Going to give it a try. Anyone have any experience with this? Of course as I took the tank out the strap in the front broke, and the bolt on the strap in the back wouldn't come out. Had to cut it with a cut off grinder. Wow did that make me nervous around the fuel tank. Suprisingly our local chevy dealer had both parts on stock. $20 buck for both. Oh well its only money. Let you know how this all ends.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

the bolt on the strap in the back wouldn't come out. Had to cut it with a cut off grinder. Wow did that make me nervous around the fuel tank.
I would have been practically p-ing myself. Thanks for reminding me to get some life insurance.