Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 Blazer Trans leak and odd noise. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Starting Member
masterspooky is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer Trans leak and odd noise. Help!

after driving for about 60 miles my front axle or tires or something stats humming and when i come to a stop it kind of grands down or makes a sound like gears grinding to a stop... kinda of sounds like my brakes are sticking or something. i just made a trip from WV to PA and half way to PA it started the humming noise, as the noise go worse i pulled over and put it in 4low backed up then went forward and then put it in 4hi backed up and went forward, then put it in 2hi and backed up then continued to drive. it still made the humming noise so as i was driving on the interstate at 65mph i pushed it in 4hi and the noise stopped. i was about 50 miles till the end of my trip and when i learned that putting it in 4hi would stop the humming sound, so i pulled over again and had a look under my blazer and noticed that it was leaking a small about of trans fluid (this is the 1st time i noticed a fluid leak) there was trans fluid all around the trans pan and the oil pan and a lot around the arm looking thing close to the driver side next to the trans pan, most of the fluid was around that arm looking part. also the transmission was putting off a lot of heat.

i don't know much about cars by the way, and i have only owned this used 98 blazer for 19 days.

for the last 50 miles of the trip i tried a few time to put it back in 2hi and every time it would start with the humming sound like a bad baring or something. the only way to keep it from making the sound and holding back is to put it in 4hi, and it only makes the sound after the transmission gets hot or after driving for 40-60 miles, also if the truck is warm and i put it in 4wd then put it back in 2hi it will start making the sound like it is still half way in 4wd.

so now i am in PA and have to go back to WV in a few days and i am worried that i will not make it and my money is low. is there a cheap fix or what is going wrong ? can i drive it 200 miles it 4hi only or what should i do to keep from damaging my trans more than it is on my way back to WV?

please help is you have any idea what is going wrong with my blazer. thanks