Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

99 Blazer ticking noise in gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Starting Member
bammontana has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default 99 Blazer ticking noise in gear

Well its that time of the year where I dust off the truck and get her ready for the beach. Have been driving her around lately, and I have a heard a knocking sound under hard acceleration. Take the foot off the pedal and return to normal acceleration, it goes away. Note, when in park or neutral I do not hear this sound no matter the RPM.

Tonight on our way back from a store we heard a ticking now, happens at a lower RPM then then the knocking sound but goes away after taking the foot off the pedal and giving her a small amount of gas. Again, this sound as well is not apparent in park or neutral.

I looked under the truck, and I noticed the cross member near the tranny and right cat, it looked like it was soaked with something. I noticed on the pan bolts of the tranny there is fluid there as well.

I looked at the stick, and it was bone dry! Now, the only thing is I am parked on an incline, so that might be throwing it off, but still the incline is not that much for show the stick dry. Even warm after driving I expect to see something.

Thing is the truck shifts smooth, have not noticed any slippage or CELs. First things first tomorrow I am dropping the pan to see if there is any metal shavings in it. I have not been driving the truck as a daily so hopefully I have not done to much damage.

I need to check the fluid tomorrow on a more level ground, but this is uh.. wow.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you notice any excessive engine movement when in reverse or forward while holding the brake and giving it some throttle?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Starting Member

I am going to have to check that tomorrow - guessing that would be the mounts?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if it is moving a lot, the mounts would be bad.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Beginning Member
brett robinson is on a distinguished road

yea my mounts are horrible anyone know were i can get some cheap????

Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by brett robinson
yea my mounts are horrible anyone know were i can get some cheap????
A parts store? They aren't that expensive. But lets not get into that here as it may drive this thread off topic if the mounts are not the cause of the issue in this thread.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Starting Member

Kyle I think I narrowed it down - bad rear u-joint. I took apart the rear rotor because I narrowed the noise to that section. Well at least I thought, until it popped into my head, that noise is familiar. Sure enough, I just took the drive shaft off to find the rear u-joint pretty much frozen, very hard to move.

Time to replace.