Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ABS & ParkingBrake light problem????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should not cause the emergency brake light to come on.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:44 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I had my truck into the shop a few nights ago (my best friend is a GM mechanic).
We replaced the ABS module and the lights went off and everything was working great. Took it for a road test and the wheels locked up when I braked. We had to remove the fuse to the ABS for now until I can get new sensors, or at least clean my old ones. The last owner of my truck replaced all the rotors and never bothered to install the new sensors that came with the rotors.
I'll let you know once I get them cleaned/replaced and see whether that fixed the problem. Like I said though, replacing the ABS module turned off both lights, so theyre obviously connected some how.
I know it's bad news for most if this is the problem..since it's a 1500$ part if I'm not mistaken. Luckily my buddy knew someone at work who had some extra ones laying around and I got mine for free.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 AM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

So you replaced the module but your abs still didn't work? I am getting my abs system scaned today at noon. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, "emergency brake" light or "brake" light. Two different things... The emergency brake light is only to tell you that the emergency brake is active. The "brake" light is to tell you there is a problem with the braking system.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by willjones
So you replaced the module but your abs still didn't work? I am getting my abs system scaned today at noon. Hopefully I can get this figured out.
My ABS locked up only because of my sensors. The ABS module was bad (found that out after scanning it)...it's just the sensors are all messed up so it locks up when I brake.

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Wait, "emergency brake" light or "brake" light. Two different things... The emergency brake light is only to tell you that the emergency brake is active. The "brake" light is to tell you there is a problem with the braking system.
I'm talking about the ABS light (yellow "ABS" in a circle) and the parking brake light (Red ! in a circle) were on at the same time. Once the module was replaced they both went out and it was fixed..it's just my sensors now that need fixing.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 AM

I just went out to take a picture of what lights were on and of course they are off right now. But the ones that are on are the yellow ABS light and the red light that has (I)(P) and brake underneath it. What does just the Brake light look like I looked and didn't see any other brake lights in the cluster.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator

The one with the "!" in it is the one meaning there is a braking problem. The one with the "P" in it is the parking/emergency brake light. Just wanted to get on the same page.

I have attached images of the cluster from the 2000 Blazer Owner's Manual below:

Attached Thumbnails ABS & ParkingBrake light problem????-cluster1.jpg   ABS & ParkingBrake light problem????-cluster2.jpg  
Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Mine has ! and P in the same light.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Really... Hmmm...

Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 AM

I am uploading a pic of it right now. Is it going to show up on a scan if the light isn't on when I go in to the shop? It keeps coming on and going away.

Quick Reply: ABS & ParkingBrake light problem????