Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Air Conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Conditioner

Ok, so ever since I bought my truck, I noticed that there was green grease-like fluid all around the a/c compressor. It is everywhere, on top of it, under the bracket, everywhere. I have never had the chance to replace it, although I will this summer. The only thing is, every summer, my mechanic has had to refill my a/c system with refrigerant. Last summer he checked it with a UV light to search for any leaks, and he didn't find anything, and he also filled my system. Today, I decided to test the a/c and it blows hot air. Do you guys think that it is my a/c compressor that is causing the problem, or could it be something else? I think he had told me that it could be something internal, but I don't remember. Also, I am going to buy a brand new a/c compressor, along with an accumulator, and the orifice tube at Advance Auto Parts so that I could get the full warranty on all of these parts. Is there anything else that I should replace also at the time of doing these three parts?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Air Conditioner

Sounds like you definitely have a leak at the compressor. Makes one wonder where the heck your mechanic was looking for a leak without finding one if the compressor has been leaking like that...

Make sure you get enough PAG oil to fill the system back up per the recommended amounts (either measured from the compressor or predetermined by GM). The new parts should specify what is required.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your mechanic checked without having the UV leak detector in your system. You definetly have leak by they the sound of it since the gree greasy stuff is most likely your coolant system oil. My system leks out of one of the lines, but as my summer is so short anyway its not worth it to me to fix it. Does you mechanic put stop leak into your system at all or just refridge? Even though the stop leak doesn't do much it might do enough to stop your leak as it seems rather slow as you only get it filled once a year.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: portcqb

Sounds like your mechanic checked without having the UV leak detector in your system. You definetly have leak by they the sound of it since the gree greasy stuff is most likely your coolant system oil. My system leks out of one of the lines, but as my summer is so short anyway its not worth it to me to fix it. Does you mechanic put stop leak into your system at all or just refridge? Even though the stop leak doesn't do much it might do enough to stop your leak as it seems rather slow as you only get it filled once a year.
I believe he only fills it with refrigerant. Now since you guys say that it's the compressor, I'm definitely going to have that changed this summer. Aside from not blowing cold air, it is the only part underneath the hood that makes my engine bay look dirty and ugly, cause I have replaced many things, everything else is basically brand new. I plan to have that bracket that holds the compressor cleaned up a bit, so it could all look clean along with the new compressor, accumulator, and lines to give it that finishing touch. But thanks anyway guys for letting me know that that is my problem.