Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

anything else i need for tranny rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Beginning Member
9t54x4 is on a distinguished road
Default anything else i need for tranny rebuild

hi new member, first post. searched engine & transmission forum but couldnt find the answer im lookin for or at least any answer. i have a 95 4x4 lt and im getting the 3rd and 4th clutches replaced, i wanted to know if there was anything else i needed to do while i was getting that done.it sounds like a good deal for $150 with ac delco parts.was also wondering could something be burnt since the fluid was black when i changed it.i just bought the blazer in january so tryin to fix the only problem it has. thanks in advance for any replies

Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You might as well do a full rebuild if they are replacing the 3/4 clutch packs. I would definitely get 'the beast' sun shell to stave of problems there. But you might as well do a full rebuild if they are going through the labor of pulling the transmission and tearing it apart to get to those clutches.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member

im goin to pull and replace it ,ive been lookin at bowtie overdrives parts as far beefing up the trans.i also wanted a shift improver kit for firm shifts,could that be achieved through the trans computer.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would always prefer to have hard parts changing shift firmness than software.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Beginning Member

what parts would u recommend for improving the shift instead of tweakin the computer

Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Just get the Transgo Shift Improver kit for the 4L60E.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member

ok, i thought u were talkin bout parts like the sun shell,servo cover,modulator,etc... i also have a 700r4 ,can it be converted to a 4wd trans

Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Well, that too. But the sun shell isn't going to change shift firmness/timing. Apply pistons, etc can be done at the same time as well, but that comes down to what you want out of the transmission. The possibilities are extensive if you really want to drop some $$ into the trans. A general rebuild with a shift improver kit will make a nice reliable transmission.

Concerning changing a 700R4/4L60/4L60E from 2wd to 4wd or vice versa, it can be done, but it requires the complete gutting of the transmission to swap out the tail shaft with the appropriate length on (4wd is quite a bit shorter than 2wd).

Old 03-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member

well swappin is out the question for the 700r4 im not goin through that. ill just keep the 4l60e i know it 1/2 way works ,it fits, ill just put the shift kit in myself to save some loot. ijust want a tranny thatll be good on the trail when i take it out

Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the info ,im not swappin ill just install the shift kit myself mabe even paint it