Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

auto tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 AM
apoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default auto tranny woes

amongst a host of other problems I am working out on my blazer my tranny is now not working. I don't know anything about these autos, but it seems like something electronic broke. The other day I was driving with my trailer hooked up and it felt like my tranny started slipping. Then it pretty much just stopped working all together. I only have drive and park, no reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, nothing. Any ideas?? Oh ya, its an 89, 4.3 liter, auto, 4x4.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: auto tranny woes

What do you mean you have drive, but not 1-3? If it's in drive, your in at least 1st gear..

Unless you mean the selector gate is jammed/broken/something else and you can only select drive or park. Also, when you felt it slipping, did you keep giving it throttle or did you back off?

And if you can get it into D, how does it drive? Only one gear, slips, etc..what does it do?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM

If I put the gear selector on 1-3 my truck doesn't go anywhere, it feels like its in neutral. When it started slipping I drove it back to my house (5 blocks) and I have moved it from my alley to the front of my house maybe 2 times since then. When I put it in drive, it slips I haven't driven it over a few miles an hour recently because my intake manifold gasket (i think) was leaking and I have been working on getting all the leaks and stuff fixed. All of this happened when i was hauling my trailer with my atv. Not a lot of weight though, the trailer is a 4x8 foot and my atv is a sportsman 500. I was probably towing less than 1500 lbs but my truck made it seem like I was hauling a single wide!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM

Is this a common problem with blazers? Are there any items i should check before I start taking it out of the truck?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The tranny control for your tranny is ont he trottle linkage. Its a black cable that runs down to the tranny, and its called a TV cable. Make sure its hooked up.

check your tranny fluid with the engine running.

Take it to a shop before you drop it out.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 PM

ok thanks for help I will check it out. I already did check the tranny fluid per recommendations and its good to go. Thanks for the help