Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Can I use a universal inline Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

heres you a oem pump kit
1997-1998 Chevrolet Blazer Fuel Pump - Fuel Delivery - Delphi 97-98 Blazer Fuel Pump - 3658-05168390 - PartsGeek

262.00 with free shipping. ac delco and delphi pumps are the same when it comes to quality.

delphi or ac only,dont waste you're time and money on any other pumps on these trucks. Just search for the HUNDREDS of threads on here about aftermarket pumps.

edit : damnit its a old thread. oh well. maybe someone might read this and help themselves.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Try Walbro Electric Fuel Pumps for Street and High Performance from Fuel-Pumps.net . I got a Walbro TU-429 for my truck in September 2010 and it was $138 + alot more for shipping at the time for shipping and they had to special order it from the manufacturer and then overnight it to me when they got it.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by killerv8sten
I want to put an inline fuel pump on my 1999 S 10. The walbro pump is what they use on the new trucks, ( not in the tank ) Question I have is this. What amount of pressure does the factory in the tank pump produce at the fuel filter? I know the injector needs 60 - 66 lbs to start, so the pressure regulator must receive more than required pressure to run, so will the walbro inline pump produce enough pressure to create the correct amount of pressure at the regulator? I realize that I have to remove the factory fuel pump and modify the pick up. Has anyone done this before?
Jack C.
You address exactly why cheap pumps dont last. Most of the replacements that state test flow @pressure are 3 bar tested. That's 45lbs. You {Vortecs} need a 5 bar
In Walbro the HP series is plenty good. Anything that stalls at more than 100psi.
The relationship is that I bet most Airtex will barely get to 80 lbs at the filter test. We've had several people report AC D and Delphi do 100 lbs. And I believe that is Kyle's criterion.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Click on the performance tests on here.. look at pressure v current.

Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro External Fuel Pumps

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-26-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Tyler Coffey is on a distinguished road
Default Similar problem

So I have no idea why this is going on but after I replaced my 91s motor with a 93 now I'm having a fuel problem even though when I started the motor swap it was running when I parked it just with really worn motor and blown heads. I now have New motor all hooked up and cranking but I have no power past the fuel pump relays. I have swapped them to see if that work....no it didn't... I have put power straight to the gray wiring that other threads have spoke of. I'm running out of ideas,time and places to look. The place I'm living at needs to see it running in three days or they're going to have it towed and after how long I've had it and how much work I have in it. I need to know can I put and inline pump to help the current in tank pump. (I had the pump out and I put power straight to it and it was a steady stream of fuel so I know it's know the pump) on the other hand I don't have a pressure checker or noid light so I don't know how strong that stream was or anything else but I do know it works. I'm a college student with 3 kids and a wife so no money to rent the required tools either. Any advise would help on my 91 4.3 tbi setup

Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I lost power to the pump on my 91 and everything tested fine. The wire runs on the floor between the gas and brake pedals right where I put my heel. That spot wore the wire into the floorpan and shorted it. I just wish I'd started following the wire from the dash back instead of tank forward.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:53 AM
Starting Member
Rhett Gambino is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DriftinBlzr
I just replaced the in-tank fuel pump with a Walbro 255lph pump (for a Camaro) for $125 on my '02 Blazer. The only bad part is you have to take apart the plastic bucket to replace it. It's really not all the bad once you get everything apart and start matching components. The pump I got even had "Made in the USA" stamped on it that matters to you.

Also you'll still need to drop the tank add redo the in-tank fuel lines to bypass the stop pump. An inlline pump won't pull fuel through the stock pump most of the time.

Later, Doug
Are u saying I can use the fuel pump from my 97 camero in my 96 blazer there both v6 but dont put out the same amount of psi

Old 09-12-2020, 07:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are asking a question of a member that hasn't been on the forum in over 8 years. The likelihood of receiving a response from them is slim.

As far as the pump they referenced, any of the Walbro high pressure in-tank pumps available should be up to the task of supplying enough pressure for the SCFI/MFI or even CPI applications. And they 'should' fit into the stock housing, but that is an unknown. It just comes down to whether you feel comfortable tearing apart your stock pump bucket to replace the pump as they sometimes can become brittle with age. You definitely can save some money, but you have to acknowledge the risks involved. The work to do it again if something doesn't go correctly or if something is damaged along the way (internal fuel leaks, cracked line, etc.) is the same. There are a lot less failure points to contend with when buying a drop in pump assembly, plus you get a new fuel level sending unit which is a wear item.

There are a few people that have cut an access hole through the floor to make swapping the pump a much easier ordeal. I have never been an advocate of this, but it is an option if you have the means to remove the metal and properly reinstall it in a sealed manner. Other members have posted pictures in other threads if you wish to research this.

Since I believe I have sufficiently answered your question here and given that this thread is quite old with many of the members having not been active in quite some time, I am closing this thread. Please open a new thread if you wish to continue this discussion. You can link to thread if you wish.