Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

cat. converter causing this??? or lack there of....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Beginning Member
lprovost is on a distinguished road
Default cat. converter causing this??? or lack there of....

hey my 99 blazer has had the cat. conv. chopped off and replaced with a straight pipe. it now stumbles and falls on its face when you go from a dead stop. and if you hit the passing gear it revs high but goes nowhere. I can also smell a little bit of raw fuel. I know im probably the only one on here that doesnt know for sure, but does it have to have one due to the o2 sensors???

Last edited by lprovost; 01-28-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Starting Member
jaked up is on a distinguished road

yes it does bc there is no more cat your o2 sensors have to be by passed theres a kit online you can get to do this so google it and by passing the o2 sensors will give your truck alittle more power not much but its something

Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lprovost
hey my 99 blazer has had the cat. conv. chopped off and replaced with a straight pipe. it now stumbles and falls on its face when you go from a dead stop. and if you hit the passing gear it revs high but goes nowhere. I can also smell a little bit of raw fuel. I know im probably the only one on here that doesnt know for sure, but does it have to have one due to the o2 sensors???
Is the Service Engine light on, by any chance? What do you think it's there for.. to annoy you?

Originally Posted by jaked up
yes it does bc there is no more cat your o2 sensors have to be by passed theres a kit online you can get to do this so google it and by passing the o2 sensors will give your truck alittle more power not much but its something
Yes and no. doesnt affect the primary O2 system in any way. Only the after cat O2's whose job it is to monitor cat efficiency. Since the cat is obviously 100% inefficient, I suspect the PCM just MIGHT put the engine in 'limp-in'. Wont know until provost has the codes read out.
I'd launch into a tirade about people who still think a cat affects performance.. but what the hell. I've been doing that twenty years and its getting old..
Plus it was GM bead type cats in the first place that did have problems...

Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pettyfog
...I'd launch into a tirade about people who still think a cat affects performance.. but what the hell. I've been doing that twenty years and its getting old...
Well, it will definitely affect performance if the internals burn out and break up, plugging it up.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Well, it will definitely affect performance if the internals burn out and break up, plugging it up.
Umm yeah.. been there, had that. Except that gets me into yet another rant about people who buy from no-name mom & pop stations. Like my kid did when he borrowed my Probe.

1 tank from peppy and no rattle to a hockey puck in the poop chute.