Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Clear transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member
Bigrig40 is on a distinguished road
Default Clear transmission fluid

Has anybody seen clear trany fluid...who makes it and can I add the red type ..witch is the better clear trany fluid to mix in the trany fluid . I smelled the dip stick so it does smell like trany fluid ..but it's clear ..so who makes it. Can I blend in red with clear or does it have to be clear.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Never heard of clear transmission fluid.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:49 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Never heard of clear transmission fluid.
I have never seen it or heard of it either. I thought maybe I would learn something so I searched the interwebs but all I could find was arguing about it so I still don’t have an answer. Read everything from: some factories use clear now, it’s clear when it’s in 55 gallon drums, someone put straight generic hydraulic fluid in it, and wait, the very best one - the fluid is so old that the trans burnt the color out of it. I gave up after that one.

Sorry I can’t help on this one.

George

Old 07-21-2022, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

It could be hydraulic fluid. There are some hydraulic fluids that would probably be suitable for an automatic transmission. Problem is, I have no idea which ones they are or which one the OP has (if it's even that).

Old 07-21-2022, 04:02 PM
Beginning Member
Bigrig40 is on a distinguished road

It smells just like trany fluid.. but then again after awhile anything will smell like trany fluid after it's been in there a while. It doesn't smell burnt that's a good thing it's does look and feel like hydraulic fluid in a way. But I'm gonna change it out ..not a flush tho pressure flushed is bad for a high mileage trany.. I know that much..but I guess I'll try to to it the hard way.. by the coolant likes and keep replacing it with good trany fluid till I see red out of the coolant lines.. that's the safest way .other than a pressure flushed..takes longer and much more time consuming tho..

Old 07-22-2022, 09:17 AM
BF Veteran

I don’t have enough experience with enough transmissions to know if the whole “flush is bad for high mileage vehicles” is really a thing or not, if the data bears that out. I had mine power flushed at 100,000 miles and I’m at 210,000 miles. There are a number of you tube videos showing you how to use the tranny pump it’s self to flush the system from the cooler line while refilling. I guess that’s power flushing in a sense but I don’t know how that compares to the evil jiffy lube power flush. One guy drops and cleans the pan first which might help with the movement of high mileage crud if that’s the theory. My family has a vehicle that has run out of gas about 5 times and that didn’t kill the fuel pump either which some report is almost a stone cold certainty. YMMV

George

Old 07-22-2022, 11:30 AM
Stovey will become famous soon enough

A couple months ago I removed the transmission cooler line, pumped old fluid with the engine running into a bucket, and stopped the engine every 2 litres and added new fluid.

It took about 20 litres of new fluid till it ran fully clear. Maybe it would have been fine with about 16 litres, a different person might add more or less.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:57 AM
BF Veteran

There is a transmission shop guy that hangs out here on occasion. I would love to hear his thoughts on the subject of complete fluid replacement on older vehicles. I'll see if I can find his handle.

George