Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Did some research but still have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 PM
tfcman is on a distinguished road
Default Did some research but still have questions.

Hey all,
The tranny on my wife's 2000 blazer had a slow leak and she did not notice it. I'm out of town and my son checked the fluid level and found it to be 3 qts low and she complained that it wouldn't pull the hills. I asked him to change the fluid and filter because it was leaking and due anyway and he did. It still does not go into 3rd gear and I was wondering if it could be the 2-3 solenoid, MAF, or if it being 3 qts low damaged some clutches or something. She also told me a couple of weeks ago that her speedometer was erratic. VSS maybe and could that cause the shifting problem? He said it just revs when it goes out of 2nd. I haven't had him check it by manual shifting yet.
Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Default Can the shift solenoids be checked via wiring without dropping the pan?

Hey guys,
I don't post on here very often and got no replies to a post a few days ago. I have done some research on this forum as expected to find a solution to my problem. I suspect a 2-3 shift solenoid and was wondering if I have to drop the pan or can I check the resistance of the coils from a harness connection somewhere. The fluid and filter was just changed so I don't want to drop the pan if it is not necessary. The tranny has reverse, first and second but does not want to hit 3rd gear with normal function. It will hit if you play with the throttle while driving around town. I'm hoping the tranny is OK and has an electrical problem whether it be a solenoid, fuse, wiring or whatever. Any help would be greatly appreciated especially if someone knows how to check the resistance of the solenoids without dropping the pan although I still may have to do that to check the wiring because my son changed the fluid and filter and the wiring may have been damaged during the change.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can test the solenoids through the wiring at the PCM located on top of the coolant reservoir on the passenger inner fender. I have attached the wiring diagram.

The 4L60E Information & Common Problems - Compilation thread lists no 3rd / 4th as the 3-4 clutch pack. The point that you made about it somewhat engaging if you feather the throttle leads me to believe that the clutches are likely worn out as well. It probably isn't fully engaging or engaging enough to handle power.

It is possible for the MAF sensor to cause weird transmission problems as well, but there are typically codes associated.

Attached Thumbnails Did some research but still have questions.-00_4l60e_sch.jpg  
Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Old 09-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Default Thanks for the response.

I want to thank Swartlkk and pettyfog for the responses to my tranny problem. I appreciate the info and advice provided as I am just getting ready to tear into this problem and I am sure that I will have more questions unless I have to replace the transmission. If that is the case then that I can do but I have never tried to rebuild one before and I don't think I want to tackle that without proper knowledge. Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your opinions and look forward to guidance in the future if I need it.