Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine Pings!!! 2003 4.3 v6

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member
bigjayfromwa is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Pings!!! 2003 4.3 v6

Well i just joined and did a search as well. But didnt come up with anything to help me.

I just bought this rig about two weeks ago, drove it to Arizona and back. Ran fine, but pinged.

So here's what i've done so far: before trip i put a can of Seafoam in engine...ran to arizona then changed oil/filter there (semi syn 5-30...still pinged after), then two days ago i filled with premium gas and a can of Seafoam in tank, tore apart and thoroughly cleaned throttle body, cleaned MAF and it runs much smoother, but still pings!!!!

It does NOT have the EGR in front of the Throttle Body, so i'm guessing it doesnt have one. From what ive learned on here..

Now it has 96,000mi on it and i know i need to do a full tune-up to it. Do you think this will get rid of the pinging?
planning on using AC/Delco platinum plugs or maybe those E3 plugs?
Full synthetics front to rear
Find K&N air filter
new wires, brass cap/rotor etc...

Thank You ahead of time for any and all info you can help me with!!!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

try to use oem equipment on these trucks, especially for plugs.

i guess you could start by describing where the ping is coming from. valve train noise is not uncommon.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Beginning Member

Well i dont think it is a top end noise, since it only does it under load. And if it was a stuck lifter or something it would do it all the time. And running the Seafoam in the engine for 1500mi would have cleaned the top end out.

So since it only does it under load i'm kinda baffled?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the knock sensor (KS) has somehow gone bad or is not picking up the pinging, then the PCM would not properly back off on the timing to alleviate the problem.

Do you have a scan tool or know anyone with a scan tool that could monitor the KS or the KR (knock retard)?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member

A friend of mine has one and i'll try that out.
Thanks very much!

I'm more of an "old school" mechanic! I'm trying to learn all this electronic stuff! lol

Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Pull the ignition module off and have it tested. I've had one go bad(not on the Blazer), but it did exactly what you are talking about. I believe it tested bad in the low RPM range. Be sure to call a parts store ahead of time to make sure they have the right adapter to test these modules.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Under load sounds like an air/fuel mixture & the knock sensor kicking in & retarding the ignition - MAF maybe, O2 sensor/s, plugged fuel filter, fuel pump on the way out or low pressure, plugged Cat?
I cleaned my MAF after over oiling the aftermarket air filter & it was still throwing codes. Rock Auto has them at very reasonable prices, but I'd check in to other things (tests) before tossing $ blindly at it & yes Kyle I reiterated what you said (in part) lol

As for plugs AC Delco all the way... these Vortecs are picky (so I've heard) & I got a full set $40 cheaper mailed to me from rock auto than I could get here. I'm sure the E3's have been discussed here, search it up & good luck!

Last edited by Rottidog; 12-22-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Beginning Member

Well its still an ongoing problem with this damn problem!!! hehe

I scanned the thing and the codes said that it was MAF
Codes: PO171 and PO174

So i replaced that MAF sensor and guess what? The damn ping is still there! and since didnt have any gas around to torch it i'm kinda at a loss?
I also had one of the Exhaust manifold donut gaskets out, so i replaced both of those as well. I also unhookded the battery while performing all of the above work, waited 30min or so for the computer to reset and it still is the same old thing.

I'm thinking i'll go to a wrecking yard to try another Ignition module. Versus just buying new parts for it.

I also picked up a set of Platinum ac delco's for it and a new dist/rotor and i'll see if that changes anything??

I just dont know!

Thanks for the replys so far!!