Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine wont start after lower intake gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Beginning Member
vetplus40 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine wont start after lower intake gasket replacement

I was so hoping for a bit of luck after changing the lower intake manifold gaskets on my 03 Blazer but no such luck......... She doesn't even act like she wants to start. No spits, sputters or anything. If I turn the key on, I have pressure coming out of the the schrader valve on the test connection, but as soon as the key is turned off, the pressure disappears. I did take the fuel regulator off and inspect it when I did the gasket repair, but it looked okay and I reassembled it in the reverse order that I disassembled it in.
Can defective regulator cause an engine to do what I am describing? I have not tried pouring a bit of raw fuel in the throttle bottle to see if it would start. Have not had time.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

It’s pretty common to install the distributor a tooth or more off, even 180 out... might be worth double checking.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
It’s pretty common to install the distributor a tooth or more off, even 180 out... might be worth double checking.
Ditto regarding the distributor.

I did the LIM gaskets last fall and had the oil pump shaft get turned on me. I had to rotate it back using a really big flat-blade screwdriver in order to be able to get the rotor pointing in the direction it had been before disassembly. There are 13 teeth on the distributor gear so that being off by one tooth is almost 30 degrees.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:13 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vetplus40
I was so hoping for a bit of luck after changing the lower intake manifold gaskets on my 03 Blazer but no such luck......... She doesn't even act like she wants to start. No spits, sputters or anything. If I turn the key on, I have pressure coming out of the the schrader valve on the test connection, but as soon as the key is turned off, the pressure disappears. I did take the fuel regulator off and inspect it when I did the gasket repair, but it looked okay and I reassembled it in the reverse order that I disassembled it in.
Can defective regulator cause an engine to do what I am describing? I have not tried pouring a bit of raw fuel in the throttle bottle to see if it would start. Have not had time.

Thanks
Yes it could. Also a leak at the regulator o-ring could also cause engine to flood, no start, and fuel pressure to drop to zero as described (this is with a fuel pressure gauge, correct?). If engine is flooded from an internal leak, extra fuel will not help it to start. Only other place the pressure could bleed off so rapidly is back through the fuel pump when it shuts off. Good luck!

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-10-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the replies. I marked the firewall with a sharpie where the rotor button lined up before I removed the distributor. I simply do not see how something could have gone amiss here. But I guess anything is possible.
I have not been able to put a fuel pressure gauge on the vehicle yet, but I seem to remember that the fuel line should hold pressure for a little while after priming the line. My fuel line looses pressure the minute that the fuel pump is no longer running.
This thing will not even act like it wants to even THINK about starting...

Old 06-04-2018, 06:24 AM
Beginning Member

Just returned home and back at it. I primed the vehicle with raw gas and it ran fine for a brief period until the fuel ran out. This tells me that the timing is correct.
My guess is that it is either in the o-ring stack or the fuel pressure regulator. Can the fuel pressure regulator be checked?

Old 06-04-2018, 09:26 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vetplus40
Just returned home and back at it. I primed the vehicle with raw gas and it ran fine for a brief period until the fuel ran out. This tells me that the timing is correct.
My guess is that it is either in the o-ring stack or the fuel pressure regulator. Can the fuel pressure regulator be checked?
Have you done a fuel pressure line check? You can borrow such a tool from autoparts stores. This will tell you if pump is working and if the system can hold pressure.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Beginning Member

The fuel pump is okay. The supply line won't hold any pressure and I don't have any leaks. The only thing that I have left to check is the fuel pressure regulator.