Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Flywheel cracked

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
thisclan3 is on a distinguished road
Default Flywheel cracked

It sounds like I have a cracked flywheel. Is there a way to get to the top bolts on the transmission so I can slide it back on long bolts to replace the flywheel. There just doesnt seem to be any room to even get to them. Will I need to unbolt the engine mounts and lower everything or what are my alternatvies to getting to all the tranny bolts?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Is this a 4X4 or a 2wd? Either way... when you unbolt the crossmember and start to lower the tranny, you will be able to access the top bolts with a socket and long extension(s).

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yeah i think you will need at least a 2 foot extension. I would buy a long one if you dont have one. It works a lot better than connecting a bunch of short ones.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Like stated, 2-3 feet of extensions will get you there. You will have to drop the back of the transmission down as far as possible which may require the removal of the distributor so you do not damage it on the firewall.

Swivel sockets make the job easier as well.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Default Thank you so much for the guidance

I appreciate the responses, and I will stop and get a good long extension on the way home tonight. Thanks again

Old 06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Been in your shoes. I had a cracked flywheel.
Short youtube video. Notice my serp belt has been taken off. I wanted to eliminate all the accessories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414gmYcGb-g

As stated in previous posts.
3' of extensions, drop the tranny crossbrace, use a jack and a block of wood. More than likely your fan will hit the rad before the distributor hits the firewall.
I used 4-6" long bolts and slide the tranny back as far as I could.
Still only had a couple of inches to work in. Dont round a flywheel bolt, use the right size closed end wrench or socket. Dont use an open ended wrench. I used a prybar on teh teeth of the flywheel to hold it in position. USe red loctite when installing the new flywheel. You dont want those bolts coming loose.

Careful you dont bend a tranny line. Well bending its Ok, just dont kink it. If you have a newer model you could unclip the line at the tranny end. Its a quick clip fitting. Older trucks you have to take the fitting off, good luck with that if your exhaust is still in place. Unless you cut a hole in the floor board.

Questions, ASK!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Alright, I have the flywheel bolted back up but NOW the transmission will not go back on the last 1 1/2 inche! Man is this getting the best of me, No room to work between the transmission and flywheel, how can I get the converter docked back on like I should for re-install?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Where is it hanging up? Did the converter move out at all and become partially disengaged from the front of the transmission?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Yes it seems that is the problem and now I need to pull the flywheel bolts back out so I can reseat the converter.