Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help transmission nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
eddiematch is on a distinguished road

Hello I have recently installed a new well used transmission as mine had blown the 2-3 shift pack after days of labour and work i finally start up my blazer and it runs like a dream but will not engage into gear it will go intop park and into neutral but reverse 1st 2nd 3rd and drive will not engage i know it is not the transfer case as it is engaging into park so it is working... since I havew bought this blazer i have installed a new steering gear ner distributer cap and router new plugs and wires new routers breaks new fuel pump and lines.. it is killing me I love it but am getting verry upset trying to get my baby to run can some one please give me an idea of what to try next I do not want to remove this tranny but if i have to i have to I have a 90 warrenty on it but as i said it was a big job

it is a 99 4x4 vortec 4.3 incase that makes a difference

oh yeah i forgor i replaced the o2 sensors and the cat converter too lol it is a money pit but engine runs awesome

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-17-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you bolt the torque converter to the flex plate?

What does it do when put into reverse or drive?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

There are quite a few possibilities you can look into.
1. Check fluid level
2. Make sure you got the converter bolted up
3. Make sure converter is engaged to oil pump. I don't think the trans will bolt up right if the converter is not engaged completely though.
4. Make sure you got all your wires plugged in.
5. Last could be the internal shift linkage that shifts the main valve. If that came off I believe you are left with nothing.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 AM

thank you for all your suggestions turns out i messed up the front pump when i installed it (long story) i took it in and had the pump from my old one installed in my new transmission runs like a top mind you I have to replace the oil pressure sensor now When removing the top bolts from the bellhousing i broke it off how hard are they to get at and replace

Old 11-19-2010, 05:16 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I am interested in hearing what happened. I just got off the phone with a friend who's transmission I just rebuilt. Wouldn't move without enough oil in it. Unfortunately now 3rd&4th doesn't work. From everything we've tried I think I might be replacing those again. Hopefully it wasn't my fault and that it was him trying to drive it without enough fluid.

I was hoping it was something a bit easier than having to pull the transmission out again. Glad it's all done though.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:12 PM

now I have an exhaust leak soundls like a tank. but running great getting to be frustrating good thing I love my blazer as much as i do or to the scrap yard it would go... lol but at this rate i better be good for a while i cant afford to keep replacing and repairing things.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Starting Member
96blazer03 is on a distinguished road

Hey how did you manage to hurt the front pump? I recently swapped a tranny in my 96 and it wont move at all, when I tried to line up the TC and flywheel there seemed to be pressure between the two but I pushed the TC as far onto the front shaft as it would go. any ideas? what am I missing? I really dont want to drop this thing again but it sounds like Ive done the same thing you have. Any help in realizing what I did and how to avoid doing it again next time would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM
ctyler is on a distinguished road

ttt...

Anyone have any insight on this?
Cut the O ring on the shaft?
TC not engaged/seated correctly with pump and tore up the pump?
Teflon seals were not sized correcty and disotred tore installing the pump?

I'm tearing apart mine right now. TC lock up started slipping at about 80k, got a 145k on it now. Did the Sonnax fix but it was to far gone to hold completely.Drove it old school this long changing the fluid about every 15k. Now the xfer case clutch pack is gone(no 4wd) so may as well do them both.